FONV Windows 10 Issues. Can anyone give me a hand?

HeroesandvillainsOS

Question

I upgraded my Alienware Alpha i5 4590t (GTX 860M, 8GB RAM) from 8.1 to Windows 10 recently and have been having several different issues.

Crashing: When I upgraded from 8.1 to 10, my goal was to continue my current game save. It is modded through Mod Organizer and was running perfectly for several weeks with no crashes whatsoever. I'm launching 4GB, and also have several performance mods (NVSE, NVSR, CASM, NVAC, the memory hack, Onetweak, Performance of the Gods, etc). I used LOOT to sort my load order and FNVEdit to clean my plugins.

Since upgrading to 10, I'm now crashing once every hour; sometimes as frequently as every 10 minutes. My game will be running totally smoothly and then suddenly can Windows will give me a message telling me it has to close FONV and will let me know if it finds a solution to the problem. Here is an example of error report:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfrauf10ob3kb5t/FONV%20Error%20Report.txt?dl=0

Compatibilty mode:

Naturally, the logical solution for me would be to run the game in Windows 8 compatibilty mode. However, Windows 10 also introduced a new problem with ENB's (I'm using Dynamo Performance).

Windows 10 ENB Problem:

Immediately after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, when I launched the 4GB EXE through Mod Organizer, the game itself launched but the screen was entirely black; all I could get was sound. I fixed this by going into my FONV root folder and adding ".bak" to the ending of dxgi.dll and dxgi.fx

Now my ENB .278 runs fine but now assume it won't unless I change it back when in compatibility mode.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but if anyone can link me to some comprehensive steps to getting my modded FONV running with Windows 10 I'd be very appreciative. From what I've seen, there's no "official guide" yet so I'm really at the mercy of the community here.

9 answers to this question

I believe you have to check "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" then click apply and reboot the computer first. Then return there and add your exceptions.

Yep! I think it's solved now. 2.5 hours last night and no crash! Here's the steps for anyone that ever stumbles upon this thread. Credit goes to Redditor Gaavlan and the wonderful folks here:

ok so:

I opened CMD with admin's right.

bcdedit /set nx OptOut

rebooted.

now I can add everything but fnv4gb.exe. Since I can add falloutNV.exe (the one in exes) I hope that'll do...

If you don't know how to add programs to DEP exceptions:

Right click My Computer

select Properties

Advanced system settings

In the same tab in the performace box, select Settings

DEP should be in the tab completely to the right

add every fallout exe (I added the two falloutNV.exe, New Vegas Launcher and NVSE

I hope that works... I don't know if I'll have the time to test this tonight

Edited by HeroesandvillainsOS

You might have more success finding answers if you first remove the variables that shouldn't apply.

The error report shows the game executable crashing so you should be able to eliminate anything to do with load order or mod incompatibility.

Likewise MO will have no bearing on this as once the game is launched it has no control on the actual code of the game.

The areas that remain are the ENB, FNV4GB and your Nvidia drivers.

I'd be inclined to remove the FNV4GB as the culprit also, since you can actually get the game started and play for some time, so it more than likely isn't that, though since there does involve a measure of code hacking in the process it "could" be. I doubt it though.

You should start a fresh game without the ENB and see how that goes. If all goes well then that specific binary might be problematic and you might be able to use another version. Though since Boris is still on WinXP more than likely all the versions would have the same issues.

My best bet is the drivers. I've had Win10 for a few weeks now and my Nvidia drivers only got a Win10 update yesterday so that could be the issue, especially with gaming laptops like Alienware that probably have a few 'tweaks' in the drivers to start with.

On an off chance you might like to re-examine the permissions you have on the whole game system. I know Win10 has a penchant for removing those set by previous versions and you may be battling against something as simple as that.

It's interesting you mentioned the 4GB enabler. Although it would seem logical to count that out - as you stated - I do believe I read somewhere yesterday that reverting back to the original 4GB had stabilized someone's game on Windows 10. Like many folks, I am using the updated version of the enabler, found here: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55061/

They recommended switching to this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35262

How or why this helped some Windows 10 user, I have no idea. And I can't say with any certainty that this actually worked. The discussion on this was brief. Keep in mind my 4GB launcher came from the NVSE silverlock site.

Thoughts? Would this be worth trying? It wouldn't be that difficult to start another dummy profile in MO and create a launcher for it with my current load order and game save.

Regarding my video driver, I double checked yesterday and I am indeed up to date, using Nvidia's 355.82 game ready driver for Windows 10. Could this driver be the issue?

Anyway, here's how everything went last night. I went into my 4GB exe and my Mod Organizer exe and set both to run as administrator. I crashed twice within a half hour; once when the game was loading assets and the other at an infinite loading screen.

This is with my ENB enabled, by the way. This is where I decided to spend the rest of my night researching trying to get any ENB to play nice with Windows 10. Firstly, running on Windows 10, the only way to get the game to launch without an error code was to delete the dxgi.dll and dxgi.fx from my root folder. Doing so causes the game to launch and run, but ultimately crash like crazy. The odd thing is, and this is why I wonder if this is even an ENB issue at all, my game doesn't struggle at all before it crashes. Don't ENB issues generally present themselves with a lot of FPS drops before CTD'ing? That isn't happening here. My game is silky smooth before I crash.

Now, my next step was to run my game in Windows 8 compatibilty mode, but there is a fundamental problem with ENB's and Compatibility Mode right now. When changing my 4GB launcher to run on Windows 8 Compatibility, with my ENB enabled, the game launches and runs, but I get no picture whatsoever. All I get is a black screen with sound.

This goes for when I reinstated the two DLL's I deleted for running in Windows 10, and also when I launch in Windows 7 compatibilty. I can not figure out a way, any way at all, to get an ENB to work in Compatibility Mode. Period.

So that leads us to the final step of the equation: running the game either with the injector version of the ENB or running without ENB's at all.

I absolutely adore how this ENB runs and looks so I'd really rather keep it. I tried replacing the wrapper with the injector to see if that would help, but holy smokes, I literally have NO CLUE how to properly install and launch an injector ENB. I don't know which files fo remove and which to replace. I tried running the injector exe, adding FNV4GBexe to the injector.ini before hand, and the ENB is both not recognized and doesn't work.

A very in depth thread I found last night said the injector was the solution for the "black screen" error so I'd love to know how to use this properly before eliminating ENB's all together from the equation.

TLDR: My game is still crashing like crazy. I may try the original 4GB launcher to see how things go. Compatibility Mode will simply NOT allow me to use any ENB of any kind without a black screen (with sound), and I'd really like to keep this ENB because my game runs really well with it. My crashes seem to happen out of nowhere while my game is running as smooth as butter.

Edited by HeroesandvillainsOS

You might have more success finding answers if you first remove the variables that shouldn't apply.

The error report shows the game executable crashing so you should be able to eliminate anything to do with load order or mod incompatibility.

Likewise MO will have no bearing on this as once the game is launched it has no control on the actual code of the game.

The areas that remain are the ENB, FNV4GB and your Nvidia drivers.

I'd be inclined to remove the FNV4GB as the culprit also, since you can actually get the game started and play for some time, so it more than likely isn't that, though since there does involve a measure of code hacking in the process it "could" be. I doubt it though.

You should start a fresh game without the ENB and see how that goes. If all goes well then that specific binary might be problematic and you might be able to use another version. Though since Boris is still on WinXP more than likely all the versions would have the same issues.

My best bet is the drivers. I've had Win10 for a few weeks now and my Nvidia drivers only got a Win10 update yesterday so that could be the issue, especially with gaming laptops like Alienware that probably have a few 'tweaks' in the drivers to start with.

On an off chance you might like to re-examine the permissions you have on the whole game system. I know Win10 has a penchant for removing those set by previous versions and you may be battling against something as simple as that.

Oh, along with the above. What permissions should I look into? Any idea what types of things Windows likes to change when upgrading? I haven't looked into that part of your post at all.

The permissions I was referring to are the access levels granted to various accounts: user, admin, etc. Some reports have surfaced that Win10 has changed the account level on certain systems from those with admin level access to something less. The upshot is if you start a program that has only user level access and it needs to control a program that has admin level access it will fail.

I've just now seen your post on Nexus and it looks like you might actually be suffering from something outside my level of knowledge. The error messages seem to be pointing to a type of execution error specific to Windows running code from 32bit level in 64bit level, or vice versa. Note this document on the subject.

The permissions I was referring to are the access levels granted to various accounts: user, admin, etc. Some reports have surfaced that Win10 has changed the account level on certain systems from those with admin level access to something less. The upshot is if you start a program that has only user level access and it needs to control a program that has admin level access it will fail.

I've just now seen your post on Nexus and it looks like you might actually be suffering from something outside my level of knowledge. The error messages seem to be pointing to a type of execution error specific to Windows running code from 32bit level in 64bit level, or vice versa. Note this document on the subject.

Wow, this is all coming full circle. I also have a thread going on Reddit where a user and myself are getting the same error message. Just earlier he tried to run DEP exceptions (sorry I don't know the terminology, new PC owner here) but couldn't due to something being different in Windows 10. Here's his response:

"...have the same problem with the 4e0d50ed code. I tried disabling DEP for FNV4gb but I can't... it says that I can't disable DEP for the app. Any way to bypass this?"

Here's the whole thread: https://m.reddit.com/r/fnv/comments/3l4qzk/long_shot_can_any_tech_savvy_person_interpret/

What you linked me to is way beyond my computer knowledge. But I think the solution is suddenly here. Do you have any advice where I can turn to to figure this DEP issue out? Should I contact Mircosoft or Bethesda? Or perhaps there's a tech forum I can ask on where people that are a little familiar with gaming can chime in?

I really appreciate the help. I think you're on to something. Thanks so much for the help so far.

Sorry, way above my pay-grade. ::D:

Reddit probably gets a more diverse group of users than 'game specific' fora like STEP, though there a few of us that have 'some' knowledge of this sort of stuff. I'd only be guessing I'm afraid and as to the steps to fix it, well it's one thing to know what an error is, it's another to know how to fix it.

Sorry, way above my pay-grade. ::D:

Reddit probably gets a more diverse group of users than 'game specific' fora like STEP, though there a few of us that have 'some' knowledge of this sort of stuff. I'd only be guessing I'm afraid and as to the steps to fix it, well it's one thing to know what an error is, it's another to know how to fix it.

LOL! It's ok. I believe you helped me narrow down the issue which is way more than I could have ever asked for.

Reddit is a vast, wide and often times sickening place. :) I'll find a subreddit somewhere. Thanks for everything you've done already.