SKSE Executable Errors

BarfingOgres

Question

After several hours of researching, I found the solutions to most of my issues, but with this one, I'm stumped. Whenever I try to edit my SKSE executable from its default state of 

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer"

to what I'm pretty sure it should be running,

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe"

it asks me to save the new information. I save the new information, but it reverts back to the previous state, and as a result I'm getting an error saying

"Executable "" not found"

Running SKSE from anywhere else will allow me to start running the game and reach a loading screen before crashing.

I'm running MO version 1.3.3 if that helps.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

4 answers to this question

Check out https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations if you haven't already. MO should detect SKSE automatically. The fact that the default location is not correct, says you may not have installed SKSE correctly. You might want to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\ and check whether skse_loader is in fact there.

Be sure to click the 'Modify' button to save those settings.

There have been a couple of users posting similar issues as yourself. For some reason some are having those settings look to the wrong location.

One thing I noticed on my installations, though I had no issues with saving the settings, was the desktop shortcut had the "Start in" field pointing to an unnecessary folder and once I removed that, the settings pointed to the correct locations.

So in your case, the shortcut field is pointing to the ModOrganizer folder and thus all the default executables are likewise looking there.

One more thing. You might avoid any more potential issues if you install MO away from any folders controlled by Windows' UAC, such as the folder you currently have it in. Installing into a folder such as 'C:\Games\MO' will be free of Windows' restrictions.