05:55:20 [D] ('fEdgeThickness', '10.0000') in wrong ini file
05:55:20 [D] ('fPointSize', '2.5000') in wrong ini file
05:55:20 [D] ('uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor', '40') in wrong ini file
05:55:20 [D] ('bEnableFileSelection', '1') in wrong ini file
05:55:20 [D] ('bShowAllResolutions', '1') in wrong ini file
05:55:20 [D] ('uLastAspectRatio', '3') in wrong ini file
05:55:20 [D] ('bDoHighDynamicRange', '1') in wrong ini file
05:55:20 [D] ('bUseBlurShader', '0') in wrong ini file

They're in skyrimprefs.ini ... should they be in skyrim.ini?

8 answers to this question

I... Didn't think so, but I suppose I could have somehow gotten mixed up with an old modified .ini, this one seems to have too much info for a fresh one.

I'll delete it and let the game make a new one.

Not a bad idea, especially if you're following the STEP guide. One of the most important things is starting with a proper fresh install. Everything Vanilla, exactly how Steam made it.

@Tannin, MO's author, recently did some very extensive study into this and found the game engine is incorrectly assigning some variables to the wrong ini. Hence MO's new ini editor makes these incorrect additions known to the user.

As you have correctly decided, creating fresh ini files and starting from there should fix those messages.

Hmm.  So I deleted the .inis  and went about my business.  I've added several mods since then and started a few new games just to see how things were going.  Now I just went in, adjusted the newly created skyrim.ini to how it should be, but there is no new skyrimprefs.ini... which seems weird...  Isn't that weird?

And NOW, I just went into the archive I made of my SKYRIM folder immediately after a completely fresh clean install, and I remembered that there is another skyrim folder in the skyrim folder, which only has a skyrimprefs.ini in it.  And THAT ini has all the settings that MO said were in the wrong place.

No, you're not wrong. That is exactly what is expected behaviour. Perhaps a read of the wiki might enlighten you further?

This is the process of using MO for ANY game.

1. Install the game and run the game's launcher, at least once, to generate the default set of ini files in your 'My Documents' folder
  2. Install MO and select the game it is going to modify
  3. MO then makes copies of those default ini files and places them in a profile, the initial profile is called 'default'.
  4. All the changes you make to ini settings are made to these profile specific files. This way you can have different profiles with different settings based on the needs of the mods installed for each profile.

If major changes need to be made to the game engine, run the game's launcher again to re-create the initial set of inis in 'My Documents'.