Possible Conflict Issue: Skyrim is not starting with a full Load order.

cds20

Question

Hello,

I'm a recent MO user, just now porting my Skyrim Mod list from NMM. I have cleared out my skryim game folder and data folder, basically reinstalled the game clean and fresh. After going through gopher's set up video, adjusting and checking for conflicts, I rebuilt my game as I ended it and started skse through MO. Everything seemed to be working up until the start screen. There were no menus, only rolling smoke and the Skyrim symbol. Checking to see if this was skse I made a second profile as a basic file and just loaded the USKP patches, SkyUI and SKSE. The game started just fine and I had menus. I checked the priorities in the right pane, found no noted conflicts, the possible conflicts button didn't light up. I use T3ndo's SkyRe and FNIS for animation mods and I buil them like gopher built his in his videos.

I even thought this might be similar to another thread that had an ILS issue that was resolved by make a text file called process_blacklist.txt. That didn't help either. It has been five days of fudging with this full load order and I'm at a loss and looking for help.

Suggests to me that something you've added after the very basic additions is causing the issue.

I'd start with your basic load order, start adding mods in small blocks, try starting the game again. 

You should find what's causing it. Once you do, you could try re-downloading and re-installing, see if that helps.

Thank you, but I did install SKSE as the video suggested and I still stuck on the start screen; rolling smoke, Skyrim symbol, no menus. I'm not seeing no resolution atm going through the guides and re watching gopher's videos. I guess another link to a part of the guides would help would help me at this point. Just to reiterate: I can run SKSE with a light load order in another profile from MO.

I good thing to remember about MO compared to NMM is there is both the left and right hand panes to order correctly.

Even if your plugins are in exactly the same order as your previous NMM game, if the assets as found in the left-hand pane are not provided correctly those plugins will not function and you will get issues like the one described.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm in process of pursuing rozzers suggestion. However, is there a part of the guide that clarifies left pane ordering better? MO continues to move things around for conflict resolution in the left pane but outside that not much documentation.

Edit: I have checked the forums about using this function in its beta state and as I'm not using a true step install any guide that goes indepth about this ordering would be good for new users ensure that the games assets(?)are properly applied maybe?

Edited by cds20

There is currently a bit of discussion about whether all the guides should just state explicitly to disable that PMOP plugin. I'm in the camp that says: Yes.

Now what that means is the onus is on the user to maintain the left-hand pane order. However you will generally find that the order in which the guides list the installation is the order the mods will be in at the conclusion of the install.

One of MO's greatest strengths is actually at play here, the ability to move these mods around to achieve different setups. Once you understand that nothing gets overwritten, it's a simple thing to examine any mod for potential conflicts and just 'move it'!

Well let me put it to you guys another way; would it be a good and safe rule to match the left pane order with the plugin order. Say dawnguard is plugin 3 and its assets on the left pane be priority 1 (since skyrim.esm and update.esm are plugin 1 and 2 respectively)?

Maybe its just a bad hypothetical example. I guess it would be simply asking outside using the step mod guide as a guide, can i match the left pane to how the plugin list is ordered?

Edited by cds20

Generally speaking, the installation order will closely match what you are asking. The actual priority numbers don't have to match that of the plugin priority because there are several mods that contain no plugins and several mods that have only plugins.

If the mod (left-hand) is below another mod and they share assets, the lower will win. In the right-hand pane there might be a plugin that could use either of those two mods assets, that's all that matters.

The actual postion in the order isn't important, only the final outcome when the game is started.

e.g.

You have a profile with 300 mods in the left-hand pane and the mod in position 15, ModA, has assets that are called by the plugin (right-hand) in position 5.

You install another mod, ModB, that contains only assets that override ModA and it is in position 301.

It makes no difference where ModB is placed, as long as it is lower than ModA in position 15. As far as the plugin is concerned it is the ONLY mod it sees and it could be anywhere in the order.

Ok thanks that roughly answers my question. As long as I install the mod (or check it as the case is) it doesn't matter what its plugin order is it will load that the exact spot i installed it Or placed it.

Edited by cds20

Ah now I getcha. GrantSP has nailed that one pretty well. :)

The take home really is that left pane is Mod Order and that's not always (nor do you want it to be) equivalent to right pane Plugin Order. :)

Edited by Nozzer66

And thanks for the suggestion nozzer. I found the mod that was messing with my start. Dance of Death. However redownloading it and reinstalling still hangs the game so i'm gonna have to stop using. Pity I liked it.