How Do I Delete a File From the Data Directory in MO?

Braden

Question

3 answers to this question

You can do it from file explorer level (presuming you're using Windows... all the posting rules for the support forums are here for a reason you know!). Just navigate to Overwrite folder and delete the file. It's located in E:Program Files (x86)Mod Organizeroverwrite in my case. 

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't asking about Overwrite.  I agree it's a bit unclear.  

If he does mean Overwrite, then Overwrite does have an obvious delete option.  Just double-click on Overwrite at the bottom of the Mod List, then you can right-click any file or folder and choose Delete:

Posted Image

So you can browse to MO's overwrite folder, but it shouldn't really be necessary.

However, he referred to a file visible in the data tab.  This makes me think that this file was provided by a mod, and he wants to hide it from that mod.

If so:

• Find the file skeleton_female.hlx in the Data tab (right-hand-side pane).
  • Right click on it, and see if you have an option called Hide.
  • If you do, then you can choose Hide, and the file is name renamed to skeleton_female.hlx.mohidden - and will not be loaded by anything.

However, you might find that you don't have the Hide option.  This happens when the file is provided by a BSA.  In which case, it seems like you can't Hide it, ever; or rather, you can't hide or delete it while it's part of a BSA.

Now if the OP is following a recent STEP guide, he may well have followed advance to extract all BSAs.  In which case he can definitely hide any file.  Or it may be that skeleton_females.hlx is provided as a loose file anyway.  But if not, his only option may be to extract the given BSA for this mod, and operate this mod as Loose Files, such that he can hide individuals.

That can be done by finding the BSA file in the Archives tab, right clicking and choosing Extract, browsing to the appropriate mod folder for this mod and extracting there, then deleting the BSA file.  Now that mod will operate as loose files only, and files can be hidden individually.

PS.  Actually, if the OP finds that he does have the Hide option (i.e. this is a loose file), then he does actually have the option to Delete it - rather than renaming it.  In that case, double click the mod in the mod list, click Filetree, and browse to the file's location.  Now you can right-click and Delete that file.  Hiding it might still be preferable, though, as it's reversible.

Edited by TheBloke

Thank you for the detailed responses both of you.  It fixed my problem.  I went with the "hide" option, but I will keep the other in mind as well.

Yes, I apologize about not posting all relevant information.  I am indeed using Windows.

Thanks again!