WB through MO Failure to Launch

unnownrelic

Question

Hello! This problem is painfully similar to https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=3856, and is almost identical except for the part where I try to launch Wrye Bash at all through MO. WB launches independently on its own with both the python and standalone version, but trying to use either through MO results in the error I put in the code box below. This occurs after getting through step 2.D of STEP 2.2.8 core, with WB versions 303 through 304.3, both standalone and python. The error message I'm using below is for 303, but the others are all very similar except for +/- a few on some of the line numbers. This does NOT occur when trying to run WB on my profile that has STEP 2.2.7 extended fully loaded up, nor does it happen with a completely vanilla profile up to step 2.c. I'll keep trucking through to the end of 2.E to see if anything changes and come back to update my findings. Also this is using MO 1.1.1. I haven't gone back to an earlier version of MO yet to see if that makes a difference. 

Error! Unable to start Wrye Bash.

Please ensure Wrye Bash is correctly installed.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\bash.py", line 427, in main
  File "bash\bosh.py", line 30342, in initBosh
  File "bash\bosh.py", line 30088, in initDirs
  File "bash\bosh.py", line 3642, in __init__
  File "bash\bosh.py", line 3121, in getSetting
  File "bash\bosh.py", line 3129, in getSettings
  File "bash\bosh.py", line 3157, in getTweakFileSettings
  File "encodings\cp1252.pyo", line 15, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x9d in position 110: character maps to <undefined>

Posted Image

2 answers to this question

I'm going through and installing 2.2.8 from scratch with the same error, may have found the culprit.

In section 1.D.1 skyrim.ini the line fFlickeringLightDistance=8192    ;Helps prevent lighting “pop-inâ€

I removed the quotation marks in the file and WB started right up.