Duplicate files - VRAM

Ogham

Question

Had a quick question which I have been looking for across different threads to see if there was an answer.

Hope it is not completely out of place here. If I have read it correctly your VRAM usage is (mostly, or at least in part) targetted by the need to "read/render" any image files (.dds?)

My Q: Does this have a cumalative effect on resources (VRAM) being required if your modload-order has a lot of duplicates. 

For example (much like the Conflicting Graphics bit I suppose) across 5 mods I use/need several textures, in all 5 mods the folder textures/armor/leather is available but I want the textures from the fifth. So this means the texures are read 4 times while not being used ? because the ones from the fifth folder are used.

The reason I ask, is that for example the DDSopt optmizing of the Vanilla, DLC and HRDLC bsa's alone is already resulting in well around 2GB of duplicate files.

Not a problem since I just merge folders afterwards, but am still curious. 

2 answers to this question

Only the last file is read to memory.

The meshes are linked to one file name and it is expected to be located in one location. If you have mulitple duplicates of the same file, then only the one with the highest priority becomes visible to the game.

Hope that answers the question.