Trust Geforce Experience Optimization?

mtar925

Question

Hi again. Just rode the cart into Helgen for the first time. Everything looks great already!

When I updated my Nvidia driver last night, for the first time in a year in preparation for Skyrim, I also installed a new nVidia gizmo called Geforce Experience. Claims to offer optimized game settings for my rig, taken from "the nVidia Cloud." I am not real tech-savvy and wondering if I should trust this for my optimization and get on with modding and playing, instead of doing a lot of experimenting. Or is it too conservative? The first thing I notice is that it wants to run Skyrim at 900 lines resolution and I was hoping to run at my notebook's native 1080. It also recommends both AA and FXAA completely off.

There is a slider in Geforce Experience where i can tune the optimizer either more toward performance or toward quality....at default it's leaning a little toward quality.

Any thoughts in general about working with the Geforce Experience optimizer? Worth playing with or a waste of time that'd be better spent experimenting with manual tweaks? Will relying on the optimizer lead to issues when I get to modding?

Thanks!

Matt

Dell XPS, i7-2630 @2.8gHz, 8gb RAM, GT555m w 3gb VRAM, Win7

3 answers to this question

Good point!

I'm wondering though what its recommendations mean about my rig's potential for running a modded Skyrim. I figured I was good for at least Baseline STEP but if nVidia is looking at my rig and recommending I run Vanilla at 900 lines with no AA maybe I should focus on Performance STEP from the start?

Matt

Dell XPS, i7-2630 @2.8gHz, 8gb RAM, GT555m w 3gb VRAM, Win7

The control panel settings, are more for the broad general settings. I in general never use those features, since most often they are rather conservative. I can live with a small FPS drop if it means increasing something else.

Also the point that have already been made, is that it is for a purely unmodded skyrim alone.

About performance vs quality in general, then start by using performance. You can always upgrade textures, settings etc. if you got the FPS to spare.