DDSopt, bodies & faces

TehKaoZ

Question

Hello,

I'm looking into trying to maximize performance on my game and recently I figured out I am getting a pretty significant frame drop off of face,body,hair, ect, replacers.

unfortunately, while I was able to use the DDSopt guide to do the vanilla textures, every time I run a body, face or anything to do with models through it I mess it up and end up with some pretty strange looking people.

Please keep in mind I'm an idiot with this stuff and only managed to get through the DDSopt guide because of how well written it was.

What little I was able to dig up on the topic I think I'm suppose to avoid running msn.dds files through right?

As for the other types of files I'm not really sure what constraints to use for them.

specifically I have Xenius Character Enhancement, Superior Lore Friendly Hair, a few eye replacers as well as some textures for the beast races (Forgotten Argonian Roots & Cover Khajiit). I downloaded all 1k versions but still get enough of a performance hit with my system.

On the DDsopt guide several of the face/body textures I'm using have a "yes" in the first or second column indicating they could benefit.

Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Do not touch the skin textures without knowing what you are doing. They are really sensitive!

And what do you mean with performance hit ? The skin textures are shared across almost all actors normally so in the grand scheme of things they do not contribute much.

But the main problem when doing random automated optimization is that you mess up the delicate balance of the texture, since even small changes of a few pixels are going to be visible. Hence any altering of compression and/or sizes are going to have to have the potential to mess things up on a per pixel basis.

After optimizing the vanilla textures through the guide, I have been slowly installing mod textures and trying my best to determine how much performance I was losing each time I added something new.

I added in all the mods previously stated above and my average fps went down roughly by 6. While that's not too bad the thing that really hit is when I'm in a location with npc's and moving around I can fly down to 9-18 fps for a second or two causing a lot of stuttering. So I'm trying to figure out if there is something I could do to eliminate that, short of going back to vanilla.

Maybe it's not the skin textures then? maybe it's the hair, or eyes (although eyes are so tiny)?

Textures have very little to say on the FPS side of things unless you have a really old computer or very little memory available. Since then you have to do HDD swaps which will slow you down and affect FPS.

Also the model size does not really matter. You can have an eye that has a 4k texture but it would just be a waste of memory since you would never notice the amount of detail anyways.