Crash to Desktop Frequently when Entering New Cells

ralexh

Question

I did a full install of STEP and installed RCRN on top of that as well as some weapon, armor, and house mods and I am getting very frequent crashes when entering new cells, it happens about every other time I enter a new cell. I would really like to fix this because Skyrim is almost unplayable with this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4 answers to this question

What resolution textures did you use? What are computer specs? What are exactly the new mods? Is there any chance of them clashing?

Need more info...................

Well, first off my PC is as follows:

i7 3770k @ 4ghz

GTX 770 2gb

16gb 1600 RAM

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Mobo

Crucial M4 SSD that Skyrim is running on

Most the textures are of the higher resolution than baseline step. I have also turned off all of the additional mods besides RCRN, Immersive Weapons and Armors, and Occupy Skyrim with all of the addons and the problem still persists.

Higher than baseline STEP means that you are probably hitting the 3.1GB limit. One of the problems with the Skyrim engine seems to be garbage collection, so assets from older cells are not being marked for overwrite by something new and then when it builds up to much the game hits the page file limit and crashes/freezes. This is common when using texture packs higher than the recommended STEP of 1k. You can get away with higher resolutions indoors, like caves and dungeons, but for the Skyrim world space, we strongly recommend 1k textures.

Higher than baseline STEP means that you are probably hitting the 3.1GB limit. One of the problems with the Skyrim engine seems to be garbage collection so assets from older cells are not being marked for overwrite by something new and then when it builds up to much the game hits the page file limit and crashes/freezes. This is common when using texture packs higher than the recommended STEP of 1k. You can get away with higher resolutions indoors, like caves and dungeons, but for the Skyrim world space, we strongly recommend 1k textures.

Good to know. When installing I just thought that the 1k textures were for framerate saving, which is why with my powerful system I installed mostly the 2k or 4k textures. I'll try installing lower res. stuff. Thanks for your help. Cheers!