cleaning mods

youtoo

Question

I installed step and added other mods. as I play I get some crashes. I dont want to start over yet. If I try cleaning mods like from this video and from SR, how would I handle it with all the mods I have installed? 

I see to not clean skyrim.ess and to start at the top of my mod list and go down. Also for every mod I clean, I have to clean 1 at a time and close tes5edit and then relaunch. 

Do I load all of my mods before doing the cleaning or just the mods in the load order up to that mod? 

Is there a way to automate this to clean all the mods in order? 

3 answers to this question

I installed step and added other mods. as I play I get some crashes. I dont want to start over yet. If I try cleaning mods like from this video and from SR, how would I handle it with all the mods I have installed? 

The important mods to clean are:

- all of the vanilla esm plugins except Skyrim.esm

- any plugin that BOSS says needs cleaning

- any plugin that the Skyrim Revisited list says needs cleaning

If you just clean these you should be OK

I see to not clean skyrim.ess and to start at the top of my mod list and go down. Also for every mod I clean, I have to clean 1 at a time and close tes5edit and then relaunch.

Do I load all of my mods before doing the cleaning or just the mods in the load order up to that mod?

Load only the mod to be cleaned; TES5Edit will take care of any other mods needing cleaning

Is there a way to automate this to clean all the mods in order?

No, and the TES5Edit team says there won't be such a capability in the future either.

When I watch the video it says to do the following to clean

1. Load up the mods in the load order up to the mod I need to clean. So if I am cleaning the 'update' file, only load that. Clean it and exit Tes5Edit. Then relaunch. Is this correct? What happens if I load more mods and then clean update ?

2. Can I clean more than 1 mod without closing and relaunching Tes5Edit? Closing and relaunching is very time consuming?

3. is it possible to script Tes5Edit to clean multiple mods at once? So if I want to clean say 5 mods, can I script it and it will take care of it (or someone else can script it)

When I watch the video it says to do the following to clean

1. Load up the mods in the load order up to the mod I need to clean.

What this means is you should perform cleaning starting with the mod at the lowest load index (update.esm), and then clean mods at higher load order index. That way when you clean a mod that depends on a mod at a lower load order it will already be cleaned.

So if I am cleaning the 'update' file, only load that. Clean it and exit Tes5Edit. Then relaunch. Is this correct?

Unfortunately Yes

What happens if I load more mods and then clean update ?

If the mod you want to clean has dependencies on other plugins, TES5Edit will automatically load those plugins. You should select one and only one plugin to clean at a time. If you add two mods that have no dependencies TES5Edit will not clean properly.

2. Can I clean more than 1 mod without closing and relaunching Tes5Edit? Closing and relaunching is very time consuming?

Unfortunately No. It is time consuming but that is the only way TES5Edit works properly.

3. is it possible to script Tes5Edit to clean multiple mods at once? So if I want to clean say 5 mods, can I script it and it will take care of it (or someone else can script it)

Unfortunately No. TES5Edit needs to close and relaunch each time it cleans a plugin.

As I mentioned in the last post I made, you don't actually need to clean all the plugins.