Skyrim won't start with optimized BSAs

Minutiae2

Question

Skyrim won't start when I put the DdsOpt and BSAopt processed files inside the data directory.  I prefer to keep my vanilla resources as BSAs.  I have Nexus Mod Manager installed and I do not wish to use Mod Organizer or Wyre Bash. 

3 answers to this question

Skyrim won't start when I put the DdsOpt and BSAopt processed files inside the data directory.  I prefer to keep my vanilla resources as BSAs.  I have Nexus Mod Manager installed and I do not wish to use Mod Organizer or Wyre Bash. 

Unfortunately NMM is not supported by STEP. You need to use Wyre Bash or Mod Organizer (MO). I would recommend MO.

When creating BSAs Optimizer Textures has a default that uses less severe compression; the default in BSAopt is for maximum compression. Apparently the current version of Tesv.exe can't handle BSAs with full compression. You can try recompressing you BSAs to level 8 (vs. 10) and see if that works (I think that is the compression level that OT uses). Note that the problems with using BSAopted BSAs in Skyrim doesn't seem to affect all users since it depends on which specific resources are being used, so using OT may or may not work for you.

NMM doesn't do uninstallation correctly; that's why STEP won't use it.