DynDOLOD hangs

sheson

Question

Original OP by Caaros

So, after updating & reinstalling Dyndolod to try and troubleshoot other problems, I've run into an issue where the program beings to hang up and eventually become unresponsive upon trying to create atlas textures. While specifically that happens on the x64 version, the x32 version just gets far enough to reach an error and produce a log after that. I was able to figure out that if I disable the creation of atlas textures in the advanced settings, Dyndolod is able to go through everything else without issue.

I've attached the bug report file, but the log file is nearly three times the file size limit for attachments, and I wasn't permitted by this site to simply post a zip file with both files in it, so I don't know how I should supply that at all.

bugreport.txt 118.73 kB · 5 downloads

Original response by sheson

Trim the log to the last generation. Use pastebin or a third party service to upload large file.

Typically such problems are because of OS, UAC, antivir or other third party software preventing access.

From the DynDOLOD Standalone archive copy the content of the 'DynDOLOD' folder, which contains the files TexGen.exe/TexGenx64.exe, TexGen.exe/TexGenx64.exe, DynDOLOD_QuickStart.html and the sub folders 'Docs' and 'Edit Scripts' with all their content into a new 'DynDOLOD' folder outside of special OS folders like 'Programs Files' or 'Program Files (x86)', the SteamApps or game folders and Mod Organizers virtual file structure.

9 answers to this question

I'm just going to apologize now for how stupid I'm about to be. Pastebin's file size limit is only marginally larger than the one here, and I have no clue where in the log would signify the last generation, so I went full moron and just chopped the log up and made it into four separate pastes. I may have messed it up somehow, but I did my best. They are in chronological order and labeled as such, so it should be easy to figure out where it all goes.

https://pastebin.com/ZYgPCB5Q
https://pastebin.com/dJTzuzw4
https://pastebin.com/LrWpqWRx
https://pastebin.com/qVxe2gfT

The issue did start after an update to Malwarebytes, however disabling all protection features on the antivirus did not yield any results. I'm not sure how to check other things, but I do think this very well could be the issue.

Strangely enough, the only place on my computer that I could find that Dyndolod didn't give me the invalid installation path error was the Program Files. Even putting it on its own in the D drive didn't work. I have no real clue where to put it. It may be just me being stupid though.

I apologize if I'm being difficult here.

Each new session starts with a line like: DynDOLOD based on xEdit...

The x86 version most likely runs out of memory. I can see from the second to last log that the x64 version went through without a problem. So use that.

[00:11:52.175] LODGenx64.exe for Tamriel completed successfully
[00:11:52.242] LODGenx64.exe for DLC2SolstheimWorld completed successfully
[00:11:52.299] LODGenx64.exe for MarkarthWorld completed successfully
[00:11:52.358] LODGenx64.exe for DLC01SoulCairn completed successfully
[00:11:52.414] LODGenx64.exe for DLC2ApocryphaWorld completed successfully
[00:11:52.478] LODGenx64.exe for SkuldafnWorld completed successfully
[00:11:52.531] LODGenx64.exe for Sovngarde completed successfully
[00:11:52.580] LODGenx64.exe for DeepwoodRedoubtWorld completed successfully
[00:11:52.627] LODGenx64.exe for DLC1HunterHQWorld completed successfully
[00:11:52.682] LODGenx64.exe for Blackreach completed successfully
[00:11:52.722] LODGenx64.exe for DLC01FalmerValley completed successfully
[00:11:52.762] LODGenx64.exe for JaphetsFollyWorld completed successfully
[00:11:52.800]
[00:11:52.835]
[00:11:52.873] DynDOLOD Worlds completed successfully.
[00:12:09.658] [00:41] Saving: DynDOLOD.esm
[00:12:10.375] [00:42] Saving: DynDOLOD.esp
[00:12:12.945] [00:44] Done saving.

If I run the x64 version, it becomes unresponsive at the same spot that the 32 bit version produces the error. The only way I know to avoid this problem is to disable the generation of atlas textures in the advanced settings, which is what I probably did for the successful generation you are looking at.

I am of the mind that this is probably an issue with the program suddenly being denied access to the command prompt, but I have no real clue as to how I should go about fixing that.

What is the exact message about the installation path when DynDOLOD is in its own folder?

Also add exceptions to anti vir or other 3rd party software for LODGen.exe/LODGenx64.exe and TexConv.exe/TexConvx64.exe in the Edit Scripts folder.

The x86 error looks like a memory issue, which the x64 should not have.

If you manually changed the page file settings of the OS, change it all back to automatic.

After running through all worldspaces with "Create atlas" unchecked do this:

Set Expert=1 in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_SSE.ini

Start DynDOLOD as usual, change the world drop down to the desired world so the button "Rebuild Atlas" becomes available.

See if rebuilding it this way works or has the same issue, both x86/x64 versions.

(If it works click the "Execute LODGen.exe" button afterwards and you are all set for that worldspace)

In case it also stalls, make a screenshot of the message log.

Try to find the smallest worldspace which still has that error.

Then find its ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\DynDOLOD_SSE_[worldspace name]_textures_used.txt flle. 

One of the listed textures might be problematic/inaccessible. Try to open them all in an image program that supports DDS textures.

Edited by sheson

I used to store Dyndolod in a folder on my desktop called "Mod Tools", more specifically in a folder inside the aforementioned folder labelled "Dyndolod". It worked just fine for the longest time it was there, but upon updating to the latest version I would get an error that warned that the installation path was invalid, and that I wasn't supposed to put it in "special folders" like the program files, desktop, and game files. To be completely honest, I had no idea at the time what wasn't a special folder in that case, because a quick Google search on "special folders" essentially translated to "anywhere on your computer" to me. I might just be missing something vital, but what I do know is that putting it directly in one of the places it told me not to immediately fixed the immediate issue.

Interestingly enough, going through each individual world space and rebuilding the atlas did not cause the error. Granted, it took a combined 2-&-a-half to 3 hours, with the Tamriel worldspace taking at least one hour on its own. Also granted, I never saw the command prompt open at all, which makes me doubt the actual efficiency of the apparent success.

I am starting to think that if I started Dyndolod as usual and just didn't touch it at all for several hours, it would generate just fine. Which would be odd, considering that I could sit there and check on it just fine before recently. Just clicking on the window during the 'creating atlas textures' can and likely will freeze it for reasons beyond me. If this is all the case, the issue becomes "Why is dyndolod throwing a tantrum when I poke it while it works", but that would be a far more manageable issue than "it literally has a mental breakdown at the prospect of its own bloody job".

Is there anything else you want me to try out or know before I make my attempt at just generating it like normal and leaving it be while it do? Should I delete everything in the output before I try again?

Edit: So, for some reason I wasn't expecting the program to keep going after building all of those atlasses, so it may have in fact opened th cmd when I wasn't looking.

Edited by Caaros

x like 1, 2 or 3 means 1, 2 or 3 are examples for x. The error messages use the term special Windows folders like...

... putting it directly in one of the places it told me not to ...

Sigh

...with the Tamriel worldspace taking at least one hour on its own.

If generating the texture atlas takes an hour it means something is wrong. Probably too many too large resolution LOD textures.

I never saw the command prompt open at all, which makes me doubt the actual efficiency of the apparent success.

Generating the LOD atlas / TexConv does not open any prompts. TexConv is executed as a background process. It can be briefly seen in the task manager.

I am starting to think that if I started Dyndolod as usual and just didn't touch it at all for several hours, it would generate just fine. Which would be odd, considering that I could sit there and check on it just fine before recently. Just clicking on the window during the 'creating atlas textures' can and likely will freeze it for reasons beyond me. If this is all the case, the issue becomes "Why is dyndolod throwing a tantrum when I poke it while it works", but that would be a far more manageable issue than "it literally has a mental breakdown at the prospect of its own bloody job".

DynDOLOD does not freeze or throws a tantrum if you "touch" it. xEdit/DynDOLOD locks the program window while scripts are running.

Check CPU usage of DynDOLOD in task manager to see if it is working. If DynDOLOD has no CPU usage, look for the TexConv background process in task manager.

Edited by sheson

I apologize if my post came off a bit rough. As said, I tried multiple areas on my computer and the only place it would work is the place it told me not to put it. I'm not on my main pc at the moment, but I believe the file path is something along the lines od D/Program Files/Dyndolod Folder, with everything nestled into that last part. Again, I apologize if I'm just being dense, but do you have any suggestions as to where I should put it? The obvious doesn't seem to work for me.

I do have TexGen generating the largest textures it lets me, as I was confident that my computer could run it. How likely is this part of the problem? I'm guessing very.

I could have sworn that, at least in previous versions of the program, I would frequently see the command prompt quickly open and close during the process, always after the point where it says the real work starts. I'm guessing that was and now no longer is a thing? Or am I mistaken entirely?

I also apologize for my wording in the third paragraph there. Not the best choice of words, really. I do have to say that I wasn't aware that the window is supposed to be locked in place. Explains why I can neither move its position around or get it to show up above other windows. May I ask as to why that is?

Again, I apologize if I'm being rude and/or dense here. I have a bad history with troubleshooting just about anything, so I consequently have very little patience for it. Nothing to do with you or your program specifically, in fact I really do appreciate what you've done for the modding community and how helpful you've been here. Thanks for all the help so far.

I do have TexGen generating the largest textures it lets me, as I was confident that my computer could run it. How likely is this part of the problem? I'm guessing very.

It will cause the fact that generating the LOD texture atlas takes longer.

Generally there is no benefit using very large resolutions for object LOD textures. The LOD objects are typically far away and small and because of the mipmapping the higher resolutions are never used.

It means higher VRAM usage which with modern graphics cards does not necessarily affect FPS noticeably. There will be more draw calls because the LOD textures need to be spread across more atlas textures than usual.

I could have sworn that, at least in previous versions of the program, I would frequently see the command prompt quickly open and close during the process, always after the point where it says the real work starts. I'm guessing that was and now no longer is a thing? Or am I mistaken entirely?

DynDOLOD starts a new LODGen.exe - which generates the object LOD meshes - as a visible command prompt window for each worldspace .

Edited by sheson