A quick question about uGridsToLoad!

caoticX

Question

I have recently got hooked with the world of Tamriel (Playing Oblivion and Skyrim), so I decided to mod Skyrim to bust.

Got all textures, graphical mods I could find, and optimized them to the best of my knowledge.

I know that this question must have been asked about a trillion times, but I have been reading several posts about it (I also read the last STEP guide), but couldn't find a definitive answer to it, with some guys say NO, other Maybe or even YES.

What I would like to know is if there is, or not, corruption of saves (new ones, not old) when using ugridstoload=7 or 9? Like, it is said in a few post on Nexus, that anything higher than 5 will corrupt your save after 60 hours or so.

I can do both of (7 or 9) with 60 frames, rarely dipping from that, I have no issues of FPS, stuttering or CTD. The game has been smooth as butter (twelve hour of total testing).

So, does changing ugridstoload corrupt saves or not? Thank you for your time and answers!

4 answers to this question

1. If you start a game with a ugrid-setting you have to play with that value or a higher one until the end. Yeah, there are ways to drop ugrids in a playthrough, but it's rough and might cause issues.

2. Skyrim is not made for high ugridsettings. You will always encounter more issues than with default setting.

Thank you. I understand that changing ugrids can cause issues (CTD, Freezes, etc), but my doubt persists, can this change cause save corruption by itself (by that I mean excluding, of course, stupid actions/choices on my part)?

As ask that because many say that the game could/would play fine with ugrids changes, but after so many hours (variable number) it would result, NO MATTER WHAT and WITH CERTAINTY, in a corrupted save (as in absolutely unusable).

So, is that true, or am I on my on to find that (play oh so many hour, as loose everything)?

Again thank you (and anybody else) for any knowledge on this!

Thing is: higher ugrids causes higher instability which makes it more probable that at some point your save will go to hell since errors stack up and bring it down at some point of time. I never was able to do a whole playthrough with 7 ugrids even playing only vanilla. Not to mention what you are intending.

Changing ugrids will not automatically instantly corrupt your save as far as i know at least.

I'ld recommend you to try it out on a new save.

SPOILERALERT!!!!

Start with ugrids 5 until deepfall barrow, change to ugrids 7 and continue to the first dragon fight, then change to ugrids 9 go to the throat of the world and speak with the greybeards and before you head to Ulftngrad (or wherever that horn is) drop to 7. After that dungeon drop to 5 and head back to riverwood and confront delphine.

Then look at your save game size and reflect about how you felt playing with higher and even higher ugrids and whether it was really worth it. That should be a matter of a few hours of testing - if your game stays stable at least :D

I think I got your point. Although the gams does look better with higher ugrids, it is simply not worth it, for eventually something, somewhere will go FUBAR (and I won't even know why) and I will lose everything... Well then, thank your for your time, I appreciated your insight on this.