Recomendations instead of UFO?

wolmarc

Question

Hi! I used to use UFO, but dont see it in STEP and will not install much of anything without the approval of STEP since I havent found any stability apart from it.

Q: I want to use something like UFO to control certain aspects of my followers that UFO provides, but dont want to introduce any unneccesary scritps; can anyone please guide me to how to use the console that these scripts must use in order to openactorcontainer 1 and make them use a certain armor instead of what their assigned armor was. Stuff like that must be in a script somewhere for these follower contols and I'd like to find the console command and used that instead. Thoughts/tips welcome.

I can vouch for UFO in that I am 57 hours into a game without a single crash. The mod seems to work as advertised. But, I understand your reluctance. On the plus side, UFO does have a built in uninstall mechanism if it did cause problems.

If you want something to have better control over follower outfits and nothing else I'd recommend Change Follower Outfits by PrinceShroob. I've used it alot and haven't had any issues with it, the author is a frequent contributor to the Unofficial patches so he really knows his way around the skyrim engine which is comforting to know :) That said UFO is a great mod in its own right and shouldn't cause many problems, it just does more then I want.

My preferred follower mod is Multiple Followers Lite: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=87578317

It doesn't have all the features of UFO, though so it's probably not what you're looking for.  However, I've been using it for over 6 months, and I've never had the first problem with it.  It stays very true to vanilla (the only issue I have is that the author changed the "follow me" dialogue...though this is a quick and easy fix in the CK).  It's the only multiple follower mod I've found that actually increases immersion rather than breaking it.  It feels like a natural part of the game.

57 hours with no CTD? wow man that's great. Do you use the full STEP setup. What other mods apart from step do you use? Thanks for the help on this as I now feel it's safe to use it. :)

I used close to the full 2.2.0a guide. Just took a few of the minor mods out that I did not want. I installed pretty much everything through Wrye Bash and organized my installers with Markers, etc. It was a little time consuming, took me about good portion of a day to get it all set up.

Aside from STEP, I use all of Arthmoor's mods, Economics of Skyrim, Diverse Guards, Body mods for male/female, a series of armor mods, UFO, Deadly Dragons, Dance of Death, Duel, Apocalypse, Achieve That!, and a few quest mods. BOSS is a godsend for organizing the load order and Bash is a godsend for seeing exactly what files will overwrite other files.

I can tell you that people are reluctant to buy into Bash sometimes, but once you take the time and set up and organize your installers, you will never go back. NMM is nice for the occasional mod, SkyUI or RLO, but I've used Bash since Oblivion and would never go back. It is the only way I ever achieve a playable stable experience.

For what it's worth, as a mod author, I would recommend EFF over the other two big multi-follower mods (UFO & AFT). The way EFF is structured makes it more compatible with other mods that alter followers. Most mods that alter followers will try to accommodate all three, so in general this isn't a huge concern...but if you're using several mods that affect followers it might be worth considering.

WOW! Thanks for all the help guys. Each one of you has something I can use. This, apparently, is the Skyrim community to hang out with as it seems you are the most helpful and knowledgable that I've encountered. So Thanks for the helpful content here.

I have redone Skyrim about 20 times and am about to give up, but not before I follow STEP and give it one more go.

@YuMMz I will give Wrye bash patches a try this time. I have used Wye, but only to sort mods and start the game, never to install or create a patch. Honestly, I'm not sure how to even create a bash patch as I havent found any video tutorial on it yet and reading a guide just doesnt help me much for Wrye.

All the other suggestions on follower mods I will just have to try each one at a time and see which one fits me. Since you guys are using these particular ones without much trouble I feel comfortable in trying them. So, thank you all very much.

Never heard of EFF. I will look it up on Nexus and give it a try probably first. Thanks again for any tips and reccomendations anyone has. With 20 rebuilds and fails under my belt, I certainly seem to need all the advice I can get. :)

I still use an old version of TCG (Tradeable Companion Gear). It's what the author of UFO made before he totally overhauled it. It's much simpler, and it provides all I need. Haven't tried the others mentioned here, though.