NVidia dx 12 benchmarks

Spock

https://www.overclock.net/t/1569897/various-ashes-of-the-singularity-dx12-benchmarks

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/amds-directx-12-advantage-explained-gcn-architecture-more-friendly-to-parallelism-than-maxwell/

https://wccftech.com/amd-r9-290x-fast-titan-dx12-enabled-3dmark-33-faster-gtx-980/

There has been some flame war from NVidia about the Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks. From what I heared they really started flaming the devs for being biased. I just wanted to point out that NVidia is telling is probably BS. Their current drivers seem to just not be optimized to handle the draw calls from a game that really uses the new multi threading capabilities of next gen APIs like dx12 and vulkan. Also, the lack of Async Compute really hurts their hardware.

Whether or not they will be able to fix their draw call problem or if it is a hardware limitation remains to be seen. I go with the dso gaming article and bet on hardware limitation though.

When I bought my current computer, I bought an AMD GPU without really thinking because it was a super good deal. Then after realizing what I had done, I hated myself for months because I realized that AMD performance has been getting worse and worse, and updated drivers for games were barely being released at all. Then noticing that AMD has been headed towards financial trouble, I expected driver support to probably drop almost completely soon.

Now all of that has changed because of DX12. I can sleep at night without seeing a menacing Nvidia logo taunting me. I've been an Nvidia fan my whole life, and I only bought my AMD card because of the super nice deal, but I really hope AMD gains some momentum so there can actually be some legitimate competition between them and Nvidia again.

Also I am sooo pumped for Ashes of the Singularity. I'm a huge Supreme Commander fan.

[offtopic]If you are a supcom fan, check out Forged Alliance Forever if you haven't already ::):

I don't think AMD declined at all. The 290 was paired with the 780 on release, now it is closely behind the 980 in many titles (and outperfroms the titan in most). In my personal experience cards with better shader performance used to age more gracefully in general.

Edited by Spock

As far as I know, almost every AMD GPU has performed worse than its Nvidia equivalent during the past few years. Also there is no doubt that Nvidia releases updated drivers for new games all the time and AMD not so much anymore. And it is fact that AMD has been declining heavily in revenue every single year, and a few articles came out saying that they could be bankrupt in as little as 3-4 years. Hopefully that changes now though with all their good benchmarks and performance reviews with DX12 and they can start getting a bigger market share again.

And yep, definitely have. I love it and it's really awesome that people created FAF. Sadly I haven't played for a while. If you've used a different name than Spock though I might remember you.

As far as I know, almost every AMD GPU has performed worse than its Nvidia equivalent during the past few years. Also there is no doubt that Nvidia releases updated drivers for new games all the time and AMD not so much anymore.

Yes, NVidia can affort a bigger driver staff. Still, the r9 290 overall gaming performance was comparable to the gtx 780 on release. Now it is often close behind the 980 and usually ahead of the titan. That is a very significant leap imho.

Funny thing is there were Dx12 benches in the other direction earlier this year with Nvidia winning. Early benches don't matter as much until rubber hits the road though. :)

Let the driver improvements begin.

The special thing about Ashes of the Singularity is full multi thread support. Not in the sense that Skyrim is multithreaded, dumping some miscellanious tasks like AI or Havoc. But a truly multi threaded renderer and probably game logic. This is not neccessary for all titles and will probably not be used by all titles, it is kind of a new tech. But dx12 and vulkan will be huge promoters of this approach because it is feasable to do. Here is an article that describes this better:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9124/amd-dives-deep-on-asynchronous-shading

And yep, definitely have. I love it and it's really awesome that people created FAF. Sadly I haven't played for a while. If you've used a different name than Spock though I might remember you.

I never played on FAF extensively. Sadly, I lack the time to really learn another strategy game :/

Edited by Spock