Flickering grass textures, texture seams, and blurry textures

Naoko

Question

I had been running Skyrim with a few dozen mods for a while now with minimal issues, but recently noticed that certain areas (especially places like the grass beside the steps of Jorrvaskr) have a flcikering grass texture with seams - when I'm viewing it, a large part of it (mainly close to the edges of the area) flickers very rapidly between blurry, normal, and a mixture of blurry and normal with black lines going through it. At the same time, the grass only a few meters away from my character is quite blurry and low-detail.

A few screenshots: https://www.use.com/C8jMD

Also, there is a mountain right outside of Whiterun with an enormous seam running down the middle of it basically separating it in half, with either side mismatched to the other. But at least that doesn't flicker :)

I use Mod Organizer and tried disabling a bunch of different mods in different combinations, but nothing seemed to affect it. I'm almost certain it's either an NVidia setting issue (MSI GTX 970) or a RealVision/ENB issue, or a combination of both.

I'm using the hi-res DLCs, all the unffocial patches, SMIM, Skyrim HD (2k), ELFX + its SMIM meshes, Skyrim Flora Overhaul summer edition, and RealVision ENB performance.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

edit: I just tried removing basically every graphical/visual altering mod I have, including ENB in entirety, and the flickering/blurry grass texture overlay is still there. o_O

Edited by Naoko

6 answers to this question

My mod will fix that - Grassias Fixas in my Ruffled Feather collection. Great... Now I feel cringey for self promotion.  :^_^:

Whoa, thanks!! I had never even heard of that, even though it has 85k endorsements o_O I will try it out soon.

Does the "Enhanced distant terrain" mod affect mountain seams at all?

edit: Oh, I'm using SFO summer edition - should that be loaded before or after Grassias Fixas, or do they not clash at all?

And hey, nothing wrong with a little self promotion ^_^

Edited by Naoko

Some people probably think it's an erotic mod.  :;):

EDT will probably help with the seams, but I am not sure. As long asyou select the 'base' meshes only for Grassias you should be fine.

I couldn't have answered your question without telling you about the mod. :lol:  It would possibly help a lot of people if it were included as a footnote in STEP or something to help those whom may not be aware of it. Even USKP pulled a very small amount of it out to use in that. The good thng is that it's compatible with every texture pack I have come across too, even though I chopped a bit of the wall away to fix the stretching.

I hope it all works for you anyway!  ::):

Edited by Guest

Just tried it out! The grass itself is totally fixed, it doesn't flicker nor have any blurry overlay anymore. :) There are still seams between the grass and the stone areas though, and the stone areas still have that blurry overlay on the edges, which turns into the hi-res DLC and/or SMIM meshes further down.

I also tried out Enhanced Distant Terrain, it looks great! The mountain seam is still there, extending all the way down to the farm, though >_<

edit: whoops, forgot to include pics: https://imgur.com/a/jfpOy

And I totally love the water textures included with the Ruffled Feather collection. It looks way more realistic than my unmodded water.

Edited by Naoko

By the way guys I meant included as a note or something that it is available, not actually in the guide. I was not trying to push anything, I'm too modest.  :;):  It looks like someone thumbed it down because my wording is terrible as usual! I edited it in any case!

The wall seams can't be fully fixed because it will make other mods fully incompatible. Your  mountain seam is a problem to do with the Bethesda distant terrain generation. It's like that in some places as the procedure just mashes the cells together. I am not sure if any mods help with that, but perhaps someone else knows?

Also that answer is the best? My first one seems better for an answer. Do the staff choose them or is it automatic?

Edited by Guest

The thread starter gets to choose the "Mark solved" post :) no idea why I chose that one, other than that it has more details. I'll change it.

Hmm... I can live with those seams, especially if there's no way to fix them at all. I'm just glad my grass isn't flickering anymore. I appreciate it!

• +1 1