From Step Modifications Wiki
Implemented as of STEP 2.10.0
- Major - Introduce fundamental new functionality, tools, or methods. (e.g., Official Pack implementation, changing from BOSS to LOOT or from Wrye Bash to MO).
- Minor - changes to guide mod list.
- Hotfix - Change/fix Guide instructions that require amendment to the changelog (however large or small) and any other 'hotfixes' (e.g., changes to mod install order, mod instruction updates, patch updates, etc).
- If a guide version is in a pre-release state, the version number may have a 'b' suffix to indicate a 'beta' version state.
Under this scheme
STEP Guide version example: 2.9.2
- v2 brought changes to mod sorting software, mod management software, and introduced alpha Pack support
- v9 constitutes nine changes to the mod lineup since the change to v2.
- v2 constitutes two bug/hotfixes have been released since the last mod lineup change (v9).
The following are only hypothetical examples to illustrate changes that would apply to a specific level of versioning.
Skyrim & potential new FO4 guides:
Skyrim (current Skyrim STEP Guide version): 2.9.2
- Switch to official Wrye Bash support: 3.0.0 (major changes resets minor/hotfix versions)
- Remove a mod or add new mods: 2.10.0 (minor changes resets hotfix version)
- Update mod installation instructions: 2.9.3
- Separate Extended Pack from Core Guide AND change mod management software: 3.0.0
FO4 (brand new guide): 1.0.0 (new guides start at the beginning)