WARNINGThis guide is not current! It may contain information that is incorrect or not in line with the current state of the game!
View the current changelog instead
STEP Guides are taking a new direction. Please read the article to understand how future Guides will be handled and released.
Improved Guide Flow
Many steps were taken to improve the Guide's workflow. As a result, the flow of the STEP Guide has been completely rebuilt. A great deal of consideration was taken from the workflow of the user while following the Guide. Thus, v3.0 has been restructured for a start to finish experience; whereas, previous versions of STEP Guides had users jumping back and forth too often.
A New Prerequisite
A new guide as been created that is meant for users to follow prior to any Step guide. This new guide is the System Setup Guide. Users should visit there and complete it before completing any Step guide.
There is also a new three-part design. The Guide is separated into three pages. Part 1 are the prerequisites where the game and all the tools will be set up prior to getting into the mods. By the completion of Part 1, users will have their systems fully set up and ready for modding their game. Part 2 is the mod list where all the mods reside with all the installation details and instructions. Finally, in Part 3 is a wrap-up where any leftover, final steps to completing the Guide will take place such as patching, running final tools, and MCM recommendations.
This new design helps users to focus in one specific sections of the Guide while improve workflow.
New Mod Groups
STEP Skyrim LE and the other new guides to follow have new mod groups based on Mod Picker's categories. Compared to previous guides, this restructure greatly improves mod list organization while also reducing the need to hide individual mod assets, thus, improving workflow and reducing user error from missed steps.
As part of the flow change and a desire to reduce information that should be centralized, we've pulled several of the setup sets out of the Guide itself, and moved them to the new System Setup Guide. Users are required to complete this new guide before completing any Step guide. The remainder of the detailed instructions within this Guide are now hidden by spoilers. This cleans up the Guide and helps users to focus on one thing at a time. To reveal the instructions, users simply need to click the links in the Guide.
To reduce user steps and simplify the Guide, the LOOT Rules from previous STEP Guides have been removed. The STEP Patches are now entirely designed around a LOOT sorted load order. This improves workflow for both the users and for the STEP Team. Now users simply need to accept a default LOOT load order and STEP takes care of the rest with the Guide patches.
Wrye Bash has also been removed from the Guide. The STEP Patches now serve the content in place of the Bashed Patches. Along with it, the STEP Compilation files have taken an arrow to the knee! While it may save time by not having to download and install the mods the Compilation held, it also hinders customization, endorsements, and adds to maintenance overhead. Therefore, Step will no longer provide compilation files/packs. As a result these mods have been re-added to the guides.
It has been ages since the sound-based mods were revaluated. This has finally been completed with this release! Also, a complete comparison of the textures included in the Guide has been completed. With the readdition of SRO, this was desperately needed. Several mods have been dropped as a result of these revaluations.
In a desire and need to reduce maintenance overhead, the STEP Patches available have been reduce to 2 from 8. This is also in part due to Skyrim LE including all the DLC. Mods included in the STEP Patches are indicated on the mod tables. The Patches provided include:
STEP Skyrim LE - Conflict Resolution Patch
This is the conflict resolution patch for main Guide and is now all or nothing; whereas, before we were providing multiple patches for various mods users didn't want to use. It includes the following additional edits beyond simple patching:
- Increases arrow speed to ~1.5x that of vanilla.
- Increases the chances of recovering arrows from dead NPCs to 50%; vanilla is 33%.
- Increases the time that passes during fast travel. It will be similar to the take it takes to walk the distance; time is accurate within 2-3 min deviation.
- Reduces the distance NPCs will greet the player to 60; vanilla is 160. This prevents the constant NPC greeting while walking around cities.
- Reduces the distance requires for NPCs to detect crimes to 2000; vanilla is 4000. This provides for more realistic gameplay as guards won't catch you as often from seemingly out of nowhere.
- Reduces the maximum chance that NPCs can dodge projectiles to 66%, vanilla is 100%. This reduces the uncanny dodging abilities of hostile targets.
- Reduces the game's timescale to 15; vanilla is 20. This results in longer day/night cycles.
STEP Skyrim LE - Lighting & Weather Patch
This is the conflict resolution patch specifically for the new Lighting & Weather mod group. It's provided separately for users who wish to use different lighting and/or weather mods than what STEP has chosen for the Guide.
Most of the patch information can now be found on their forum topic.
With STEP 3.0 the STEP Guides now include MCM recommendations. This is something the users have asked for since MCM existed. The wait is over!
Though v3.0 is nearly an entirely new Guide, we've listed the major changes since v2.10.0 below. Considering the large mod group change from the previous versions of the Guide, mod movements from one group to another were not recorded.
Mod List Changes
- TES5LODGen Added
- Wrye Bash Template:Removed
Audiovisual - Animations & Effects
- Animated Clutter Template:Removed
- Bowlegged jump animation Fix Added - restored from the Compilation
Audiovisual - Models & Textures
- 83Willows 101BugsHD Template:Replaced by Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul.
- aMidianBorn Farmhouse Template:Removed - mod is no longer available
- aMidianBorn Solstheim Landscape Template:Removed in favor of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul.
- Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack - restored from the Compilation
- Bellyaches HD Dragon Replacer Pack - restored from the Compilation
- Better Circlets Template:Removed - mod is no longer available
- Better Dynamic Ash Added
- Better Shadowmarks Template:Removed - now included in USLEEP
- Birds and Flocks Template:Removed
- Blended Roads Added
- Chicken Butthurt Minimizer Added
- Detailed Rugs - restored from the Compilation
- Distance Decal Fix Template:Removed - mod is no longer available
- Divine Amulets and Daedric Rings - Upscaled Textures Added
- Dragon Glyphs HD - Fixed - restored from the Compilation
- Dragon Masks Retextured Added
- Dragonborn Mages Robes Retexture Pack Template:Removed in favor of Rustic Clothing.
- Dust Effects Added
- Enchantment Effect Replacer - restored from the Compilation
- Enhanced Night Skyrim - restored from the Compilation
- Enhanced Vanilla Trees Added
- FALMER Added - replaces Book of Silence textures
- Finer Dust Template:Replaced by Dust Effects
- Frankly HD Dragonbone and Dragonscale Added
- Frankly HD Thieves Guild Armors Added
- Frost Atronach HD Template:Removed - mod is no longer available
- Hardy Hares Added
- HD Executioners Block Added
- HD Reworked Baskets Template:Replaced by Realistic HD Baskets
- HD Reworked Horses Added
- HD Sacks Retexture - restored from the Compilation
- High Quality Food and Ingredients - Added a note to hide one of the textures.
- HiRes Legible Road Signs - restored from the Compilation
- HQ Paper Template:Replaced by Realistic Paper
- HQ Snow Template:Removed - in favor of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul
- Immersive Dragons Added
- Immersive Smilodons Added
- Improved Foot Wraps for females - restored from the Compilation
- Improved Sparks Added
- Improved Vanilla Mountains HD Template:Removed in favor of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul.
- Intricate Spider Webs Template:Replaced by WEBS extended
- Lepidoptera Of Skyrim Template:Removed - mod is no longer available
- Mage Outfit Texture Overhaul Template:Removed in favor of Rustic Clothing.
- Majestic Mountains Added
- Not Really HD Mask of Clavicus Vile Template:Removed in favor of Rustic Clothing.
- Northfire’s Skidmarks 1K-2K Template:Removed in favor of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul.
- Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD Template:Removed in favor of CACO and Rustic Potions.
- Rally's Instruments Added
- Realistic HD Baskets Added
- Realistic HD Pickaxe Added
- Realistic HD Woodcutter's Axe Added
- Realistic Paper Added
- Realistic Smoke and Embers Template:Removed in favor of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul.
- Ruins Clutter Improved - restored from the Compilation
- RUSTIC ARMOR and WEAPONS Added
- RUSTIC AZURA’S STAR Added
- RUSTIC COOKING STATION Added
- RUSTIC DAEDRA Added
- RUSTIC FORSWORN Template:Replaced by RUSTIC ARMOR and WEAPONS
- RUSTIC SPRIGGAN Added
- Serious HD Template:Removed in favor of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul.
- SkyFalls and SkyMills Template:Removed - DynDOLOD replaces this mod.
- Skygazer Moons Added
- Skyrim Flora Overhaul Template:Removed in favor of Enhanced Vanilla Trees.
- Skyrim Performance Plus Template:Removed - no longer needed with Guide’s minimum requirements.
- Skyrim Weapon De-LARP-ification Project Template:Removed - it’s simply not worth the download anymore now that BSW overwrites the majority of this mod.
- Smaller Cursor - restored from the Compilation
- Smooth Sky mesh Added
- TDN Vampire Armor Retexture Template:Removed in favor of Rustic Clothing.
- The Beauty of Skyrim - Dungeons - restored from the Compilation
- The Ruffled Feather - restored from the Compilation
- TreesHD - Skyrim Variation Template:Replaced by Enhanced Vanilla Trees
- Ultimate HD Fire Effects - restored from the Compilation
- Ultimate HD Torch - restored from the Compilation
- Veydosebrom - Grasses and Groundcover Added
- Visible Windows - restored from the Compilation
- Vivid Clouds and Fogs Template:Replaced by Vivid Weathers
- WEBS extended Added
Audiovisual - Sounds & Music
- FAR-Forgotten Argonian Roots - Template:Updated installation instructions to include 'no glow skin' option.
- JazzJR CoverKhajiits Bodytexture Ver1 Added
- JazzJR CoverKhajiits Female Bodytexture Added
- Natural Eyes - restored from the Compilation
- PAINTERLY - Template:Replaced by Vanilla Warpaints Absolution
- Vanilla Makeup HD Added
- Vanilla Warpaints Absolution Added
- Appropriately Attired Jarls Template:Replaced by Clothing & Clutter Fixes
- Butterflies Unchained Added
- Dragon Stalking Fix Added
- Eye Normal Map Fix Added
- Modern Brawl Bug Fix Template:Removed - this fix is incorporated into other mods.
- NARC Template:Removed - included in Stealth Skills Rebalanced.
- Ragdoll Paralysis Template:Replaced by Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul.
- Realistic Humanoid Movement Speed Added
- SKSE-Elys-AltF4 Template:Removed - included in ENBoost.
- Unlimited Bookshelves Added
- Wiseman303s Critter Fixes Template:Updated options for the installer since 101Bugs was removed.
Gameplay - General
- Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul Added
- Skyrim - Enhanced Camera Template:Removed - too controversial among staff and users. Best to let the user decide their choice of these types of mods.
Gameplay - AI & Combat
- Tavern AI fix Added
Gameplay - Economy & Item Balance
- Clams Drop Pearls Template:Replaced by Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul.
Gameplay - Immersion & Role-playing
- Disease Descriptions for the Immersive Adventurer Added - restored from the Compilation
- Go On Ahead Added
Gameplay - Quests & Stories
- Alternate Start - Live Another Life Added
- The Paarthurnax Dilemma Template:Replaced by The Paarthurnax Ultimatum
- The Paarthurnax Ultimatum Added
Gameplay - Skills & Perks
- Farmhouse Chimneys Template:Updated FOMOD instructions for the latest version of the mod.
- Helarchen Creek Added
Audiovisual - Lighting & Weather
- Vivid Weathers Added
Post Release Changes
The changes below have been made since the Guide's current version release.