Should i stop modding now?

HypestHypeBoo

Question

I've posted this question in a topic already but it was marked "Answered" so i thought i wouldn't be getting any answers to my question there so i decided to open a new topic. I hope no one will mind. Anyhow i will just copy paste the issue:

I have recently started modding skyrim and i reached step 2.H. Characters & Creatures in the step:core guide and i decided to give skyrim a start up and a test and see how its holding. Now i do know that in the guide itself it claims that the minimum recommendation are 2GB Vram but i've read that it can be pulled of with 1GB Vram nonetheless. However after reaching not even half of the step guide it seems i'm hitting the cap on my Vram and i wonder is there any point for me to continue the modding? Will all the mods that come after just overflood it and make my game crash so i better just wait with modding till i get a better rig with a stronger graph card or just install a handful of mods like the fixes and a dozen or so other mods i want most in my game?

Here is the screenshot to the test skyrim performance tester gave me playing for some 20 mins in Helgen: https://postimg.org/image/qxvdt0un1/

5 answers to this question

Well ENBoost should allow you to load some of the texture memory into your RAM instead of your VRAM, but your FPS is already pretty low, so you'd probably want to go back and see whether there are some more preformance friendly versions of the mods you've already installed, try avoiding STEP: Extended (sticking to STEP: Core) etcetera. There are also several mods in STEP that make the game look a lot nicer without taxing your resources too much, like Point the Way or 101Bugs.

Well ENBoost should allow you to load some of the texture memory into your RAM instead of your VRAM, but your FPS is already pretty low, so you'd probably want to go back and see whether there are some more preformance friendly versions of the mods you've already installed, try avoiding STEP: Extended (sticking to STEP: Core) etcetera. There are also several mods in STEP that make the game look a lot nicer without taxing your resources too much, like Point the Way or 101Bugs.

I only followed the step:core v2.2.9.2 and i always chose the LQ versions of mods and options to get it as much as performance friendly as i can. If my Vram is really too low to continue modding following the core then i was thinking of just getting an handful of mods that i want like PerMa, some immersive mods and avoiding any textural mods since it seems i dont have the graph card for those.

Install the lower quality or texture size versions of the mods and use the optimized textures. There are some alternative texture packs that should help performance if you are truely running out of VRAM such as alternity's reduced vanilla textures and gamwich's lower resolution texture pack.

Hmm, yes. You won't see an improvement in performance when adding the other sections to your install, but the gameplay section has lot of fairly essential improvements that doesn't impact performance at all. You can also try following the instructions here to optimize the vanilla textures.

I can live without any texture and graphic improving mods tbh. I was thinking of picking a bunch of mods from the sections like fixes and gameplay also some interface mods like skyUI and then some other mods outside of the step project i would like to have. Since cant have the step core i might as well combine and put to use some of my knowledge i got here. Im honestly sad that i need a better graph for this awesome mod guide but at least i have a profile in MO halfway through the step core so when i get a better rig i can pick off where i stopped :) Thanks for the help to you all on this topic, cheers guys!