How to deal with conflicting files?

RadikulRAM

Question

I wanted to install Skyrim Realistic Archery - Bows - Arrows - Crossbows - Bolts 

(https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58137/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D58137%26preview%3D&pUp=1)

The problem is that it's conflicting with a lot of my mods. A lot of the files have already been replaced by other mods, how can I prevent this mod from installing its own? It's installing a lot of unmanaged: Hirest texture pack mods too.

3 answers to this question

Conflicting files is 'part and parcel' of the modding process. The simple act of installing one mod is, in itself, an act of introducing a conflict. You, the person installing the mod, have decided that a change to the vanilla game is needed and therefore introduced a change to the game.

What I'm saying here is that "conflict" isn't a bad thing, as long as it is conflicting the way you want it to.

Now since you use the term "unmanaged:" I'm assuming you are using MO as the tool to manage your mods. That being the case, installing Skyrim Realistic Archery will never install files that are "unmanaged".

That mod is one of the simpler mods around and consists of just one plugin (esp/esm) and a few INI files. None of these will conflict with existing files and only the plugin, when loaded will edit specific records in the game.

Perhaps you are seeing other changes in your modding process due to some other steps you have taken? Aside from files provided by the game itself, no other mods installed should be "unmanaged" and if you are seeing them your management process is flwed and you are not using MO correctly. ie. installing mods from other sources such as Steam or manually.

Conflicting files is 'part and parcel' of the modding process. The simple act of installing one mod is, in itself, an act of introducing a conflict. You, the person installing the mod, have decided that a change to the vanilla game is needed and therefore introduced a change to the game.

What I'm saying here is that "conflict" isn't a bad thing, as long as it is conflicting the way you want it to.

Now since you use the term "unmanaged:" I'm assuming you are using MO as the tool to manage your mods. That being the case, installing Skyrim Realistic Archery will never install files that are "unmanaged".

That mod is one of the simpler mods around and consists of just one plugin (esp/esm) and a few INI files. None of these will conflict with existing files and only the plugin, when loaded will edit specific records in the game.

Perhaps you are seeing other changes in your modding process due to some other steps you have taken? Aside from files provided by the game itself, no other mods installed should be "unmanaged" and if you are seeing them your management process is flwed and you are not using MO correctly. ie. installing mods from other sources such as Steam or manually.

Thanks, it makes sense to me now!