Crash fixes by meh321

Deathwing514

I just test Crash fixes V10 with my setup SRLE (Nov 2015) + REGS including ETaC modular + MMO Pack. It fixed all cell transition stutters on my system (Windows 10, i7-4790k, 16GB RAM, 980ti) Loading time is shorter even on SSD.

meh321, you can have my second born because sheson already took the first one.

Edited by darkside

I just test Crash fixes V10 with my setup SRLE (Nov 2015) + REGS including ETaC modular + MMO Pack. It fixed all cell transition stutters on my system (Windows 10, i7-4790k, 16GB RAM, 980ti) Loading time is shorter even on SSD.

meh321, you can have my second born because sheson already took the first one.

I observed a similar stutter and my machine shouldn't have any issues. I'll give it a go latter tonight

TBH, the memory management person isn't really working for me.  I run a heavily modded, crash-prone build.  I had one transition, walking out of Bleak Falls, that crashed repeatedly with this in place.  Disabling it and going back to the old method prevented the CTD.  Of course, transitions take longer and I got at least one ILS.

[EDIT] Ok, setting ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini seems to make UseOSAllocators work for that one consistent transition.  I suspect that's going to cause a problem for a lot of folks until all the various instruction sets get into sync.

Edited by c0c0c0

This mod needs more testing time, but it is working great for me so far. My setup is heavy, but rarely CTD. The new memory management fixed annoying cell border crossing stutters for me. I am planning to test it more extensively, once real life slowing down a little bit. 

Well just to add my two pence to the opinions ( without having any kind of in depth knowledge of the subject, but a rough edged idea of some of what the Crash Fixes ini details ) ..

I do not have a heavily modded game ( habit ever since modding Oblivion, keeping things in moderation has always kept my game setups highly stable ), so really am not the ideal candidate to be doing any kind of testing but thought I would give it a run

I never have CTDs so mostly I expect any feedback I have will be not much use at all

Previously using Shesons memory fix via SKSE ini, but I dont think I ever really needed it.

Now using Plugin Preloader, and Crash fixes with the equivalent of shesons fix enabled, and SKSE ini has had the Sheson fix settings removed

The rest of the settings in the Crash Fixes ini I have left at default

The only remarkable  difference I have noticed is that with SKSE Sheson fix, game loading was generally 2-3 seconds longer than vanilla game setup

With the new Plugin Preload and Crash Fixes setup, that delay has now gone completely.

So in my case at least it has been beneficial if only for that.

On my new I7 machine I have a rare slight stutter at cell loads, but that mostly goes un-noticed. Now that I am looking for it since changing over to Crash fixes, I have not seen any recurrence. Going to keep it installed for a good length of time ( been trying SKSE Memory patch for about a year un-necessarily in my case, so why not :) )

I also kicked off another topic on AFK Mods forum in case there is anyone else venturing into testing it out can offer more feedback who does not frequent this forum.

• +1 2

Slated for the next rewrite of /r/skyrimmods beginner's guide is to add crash fixes and mator smash in as basic things (this won't happen until crash fixes gets a few more months of testing and mator releases smash on a "full release" basis (i.e. he feels comfortable unleashing it to the world at large). I'm not totally sure I agree with this as those utilities aren't really needed for beginners.... on the other hand we now have some people who have been modding for two weeks and already have 500 mods installed, so maybe we should change the definition of what a beginner needs, again.

Absolutely, agree that CF and Smash could make their way into the Beginner's Guide. CF will obviously need more testing, but if all goes well it will go directly after SKSE, and the SKSE portion will be rewritten to just provide steps for installing the script extender and skipping the memory patch. In the event that some users can't get CF to work (as is the case with ENBoost), perhaps we could provide a link to SKSE mem patch instructions as an alternative, though I don't see this being the case.

In regards to Smash it really just boils down to Mator polishing it up once he gets back to it. Which will be awesome because we can just nuke Wrye Bash and Merged Patch instructions from the guide entirely. (Not the WB is bad as a mod manager, but for the purpose of the guide it won't be needed anymore)

Also...yeah...assuming that new modders are going to go overboard is a good assumption to make. As much as I try to deter this throughout the guide in multiple places, it is hard for some to resist the urge to download all the mods. Preparing them with the basic knowledge for creating stability on a heavy mod list is a good idea. :)

Absolutely, agree that CF and Smash could make their way into the Beginner's Guide. CF will obviously need more testing, but if all goes well it will go directly after SKSE, and the SKSE portion will be rewritten to just provide steps for installing the script extender and skipping the memory patch. In the event that some users can't get CF to work (as is the case with ENBoost), perhaps we could provide a link to SKSE mem patch instructions as an alternative, though I don't see this being the case.

Just to be clear, it is still worth it to use other skse.ini tweaks, though. Only the [Memory] section is useless with the SKSE Plugin Preloader.

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048
These should still always be used.

Quote from Arthmoor on AFKmods https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4461-skyrim-plugin-preloader-crash-fixes-by-meh321-and-sheson/

"I would assume because intercepting crash data and preventing the game from actually crashing carries certain risks, and always will. Much like weOCPS for Oblivion which took a few years before people finally realized it was leading to subtly corrupted saved while being used.

It may SEEM like the game crashes for no good reason, but IMO it's better to just let it and be guaranteed you won't have a problem reloading than it is to intercept it and pray you never do later.

The memory heap replacer is a different matter. It proved to be safe to use the one for Oblivion, so who knows. I'd only actually bother with it if the game was pushing by running out of resources or something. Otherwise I think the SKSE memory patch is sufficient for most folks."

I am now using only the memory management fix. Meh321 tried to fix/bypass these CTD which is great, but I am a little concerned about this given Arthmoor's assessment. I know definitely nothing about programming.

Meh321 is still active and as long a crash log is provided, he'll fix it.

In terms of long term stuff, only time will tell. So I figure I might as well participate as I dont really care about my characters, I havent even played the game.

Meh321 is still active and as long a crash log is provided, he'll fix it.

In terms of long term stuff, only time will tell. So I figure I might as well participate as I dont really care about my characters, I havent even played the game.

My thoughts exactly. Well said @Hishutup.

I'm running this with Safety Load, SKSE loader (default 768 memory block) & ENB. I just had Skyrim run out of memory in Riverwood (alternate start: camping in the woods) after sneaking into town. My ExpandSystemMemoryX64 was set to "true". I've adjusted that to "false" and was able to start a new, sneak into town, hunt the local forests & get up to mischief in the Sleeping Giant without incident. As you say, time will tell.