STEP Compilation Patch, Which Version?

aba42

Question

During the STEP installation process of the various MOD's, several times, the STEP instructions stated to use the higher-definition MOD's (i.e., 2K) and/or Optional Patches (e.g, Under Clutter and Miscellaneous, Detailing the Eldritch - Higher-Res Riekling, and Rustic Dragon Corpse).    Even though there is a mere handful of such patches, shouldn't those require that everyone use the High Res 2292e file, since that "version includes the higher resultion textures with a base of 2K."??  OR, are we supposed to ignore those few files, just use the Normal Res 2292e file?

5 answers to this question

Okay, and I DO have a rig capable of handling that higher resolution.  However, I've been installing according to the guide.  The guide does not stick to 1K resolutions for each MOD.  Some of them, as I pointed out above, were recommended that we use the 2K mod in that specific instance.  So I did.  Now, I'm ready to apply the STEP Compilation patch.  The top listed is a 2K base, the second listed is a 1K base.  IF I install the 1K base, will that mess up those mods for which, specifically, STEP recommended that we use the 2K mod?

No. They are separate mods. The compilation contains the STEP Patch (which is very important to make things work together), and a bunch of small texture mods that STEP has gotten permission to put together in one package. The list used to be 30 mods longer, now it is shortened due to those mods being in the compilation. Whether you choose High Resolution or normal for the Compilation, it will have no effect on the other mods you have installed.

As Greg says, the STEP Baseline column recommends to install the Normal Res version.

This is your choice and depends on the capabilities of your computer. The STEP recommendations is to use the medium quality or 1K variants in most cases since these can be used by the majority of users with mid-range gaming rigs (video cards with 2GB VRAM). If you have a higher-range gaming rig with 3GB or 4GB VRAM, a 64-bit operating system, and 8GB or more RAM you may be able to use the high quality or 2K variants but you'll most likely have to increase DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768 to DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024 in SKSE.ini since the higher quality options require memory.

If there's any doubt, always use the baseline recommendations in the guide.

Okay, and I DO have a rig capable of handling that higher resolution.  However, I've been installing according to the guide.  The guide does not stick to 1K resolutions for each MOD.  Some of them, as I pointed out above, were recommended that we use the 2K mod in that specific instance.  So I did.  Now, I'm ready to apply the STEP Compilation patch.  The top listed is a 2K base, the second listed is a 1K base.  IF I install the 1K base, will that mess up those mods for which, specifically, STEP recommended that we use the 2K mod?