Optional ESPs Not Showing under Archives Tab w/ MO Manage

aba42

Question

I am now in STEP 2292 Section 2.K.  I have just installed Better Weapon Swing Sounds.  Following STEP Detailed Instructions, I moved the optional file BSW.esp from the lower pane to the upper pane.  [i believe that this is the second file for which this has been recommended, outside of the initial HighRes files].   All of the HighRes Files, moved at the beginning of this STEP 2292 Approach are in the "Have MO manage Archives section under the right pane Archives Tab.  However, neither of the two Esp files that I have moved subsequently have appeared in that listing.  I have closed and restarted MO, nothing changed.  I've rerun LOOT, no errors.  Any guidance here?  Got any idea where these two optional esps went, and/or where they should physically be located in the file structure?  Thanks!!

Afterthought, unless you guys have any more comments?  Since the two (that I remember) mods (after we got past the Bethesda-related ones) that had optional ESPs DID put the ESP file into an <optional> file (at least, that's what it shows in the FileTree for each of those mods, even though it doesn't appear at all under the Archives Tab on the right pane, I'm going to assume that my "optional" ESPs are being managed by MO.  Thanks for explaining away my confusion...on to the final patches?

Your question is not stupid. It just shows lack of understanding in how Mod Organizer works. When I asked you to look at the guide, it is not because I am getting frustrated with your questions, it is because that is where I learned the information myself. MO is so different from NMM that it is worth your while to read that guide.

Basically MO uses a virtual file structure. I will use my own system for example.

My Skyrim directory is located here: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

My Skyrim data directory is then obviously here: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data

My MO directory is located here: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer

My MO mods directory is located here: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods

Instead of installing everything to the Skyrim Data directory, which is what NMM used to do, MO installs things to it's own directory, with a separate folder for each mod. Then, when you tell MO to run Skyrim, it virtually adds the files, etc. based on how you have set it up in MO (setting priority order for mods, load order, hiding specific files, adding .ini files, etc.).

That way, nothing ever overwrites and deletes data from a mod. You can always uninstall stuff without any issues; you can even move mods around so one is "installed" before another (priority number in left pane). This is why MO is better than the other mod managers out there.

And you are correct with the optional ESPs. You did that correctly, and the BSA vs. Loose file thing isn't an issue per Greg's earlier post. Don't worry about it.

Understood, and I will read the Guide in the near future...'cause, as SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed, my wife, Erika) says, I'm "anal" about knowing such stuff; instead of just trusting that it works, for some reason I need to know how it works.  Back at it!