After Installing BirdsHFclean, run TES5Edit, Nothing Happens

aba42

Question

I've installed Birds and Flocks.  STEP states TES5Edit Cleaning Required.  I select TES5Edit in the drop-down list, select Run.  I get a message stating that MO is Lockes while TES5Edit is running.  Then, nothing.  I do not get the window in which I'm to deselect the mods, and then double-click on Birds and Flocks so I may run the cleaner.  Help, please.

If it helps any, I get two messages down below.  The first stays "initweaks.ini saved".  The second says "lockedorder.txt saved."

The xEdit log is fine. MO is tricking xEdit into seeing the "real" data structure even though it is loading from MO.

The 'backup' folders likewise are also fine. The rule with MO is this:

IF a file exists, ie. it is active in the left-hand pane, then MO will see it and the tools you use, in this case xEdit, will work on those files and edit them and create a backup in that folder.

IF the file DOES NOT exist, e.g. the DLCs, then the edited files need a place to be saved and MO sends them to "Overwrite".

As for the original problem of xEdit appearing to not load. Sometimes the initial window is minimized or sent behind MO's and you will need to alt-tab to get to it. That's a Windows oddity.

This is a long-standing Windows bug that goes back to least the Windows 95/98 days. It initially began as a battle to prevent applications in the background from stealing focus from the application in the foreground without the user's consent (e.g. it was very common for an application to pop itself to the foreground thereby stealing keyboard and mouse focus away from the user), but Microsoft has jimmied the system so badly that even normal focus fails to work properly.  It's so bad that it's very common for a user to open an application and be unable to find said application because it's sitting behind a ton of other windows. This bug has existed for so long that I've given up hope that Microsoft will ever get it right.

Yes, I, too, am familiar with that Windows Oddity. But, in this case, it simply wasn't there, until I just removed all the TES5Edit files, and then put 'em all back. I didn't install it or anything, just physically deleted, then dumped another copy in on top of where it'd been. The dumped one works fine. The other one had worked fine, then stopped a couple of days ago. So, remaining question. Is it safe to do the same thing with LOOT? I.e., I'm getting nothing when I run it, either. Should I just delete and redump, as I did with TES5Edit? Or will removing LOOT mess up MO somehow? Thanks!!

As Greg mentioned earlier, yes. Do the same with LOOT.

Delete Loot and reinstall it the same way you did with TESVEdit and then reconfigure Mod Organizer to find Loot in the appropriate location.