Can someone help me get all my mods to work please?

Fauwyr

Question

So I have spent nearly a week working on trying to get DansGaming mod list to work. I got the STEP mods working perfectly, but when I add the mads from his list, it won't run. Just fails to launch and says it stopped working. So could anyone please help me? I could skype, steam, or even private message you. I just hate not having this thing work. Thank you for your time and have a good day

15 answers to this question

It's extremely difficult to deteremine what causes something to fail to launch if you've installed a lot of mods at once. I assume you have Mod Organizer (given the tag that seems logical)? The simplest thing to do would be create a default vanilla profile and test what works from there to isolate the problem.

In my experience it could be everything from a faulty .ini setting to missing masters. Keep in mind that the reason STEP doesn't include stuff as rapidly as private guides such as the one you followed is because they make an attempt at making it work across a wide variety of setups and also help provide support for it. (mind you I haven't been that involved in following STEP's development for a while, so if I'm wrong or left something out, feel free to correct me).

• +1 1

I ended up having to do a complete clean reinstall of Skyrim and start back from the very beginning (again). I still have no idea what went wrong though. Would me having Win 10 have anything to  do with this?

Edited by Fauwyr

I'm confused as to why you saw it as necessary to reinstall the game? With MO this should be pretty easy to avoid by simply establishing that you can run the game in vanilla after installing it, then doing all other mod installing through MO after which everything would remain in its original state and you could revert to that simply by disabling any given mods in MO's left pane.

Update. I am currently playing with the STEP Compilation Mod and trying to get it to work. It seems it will work sometimes but I then have to move it around in the Mod Order section (Left Pane). Anyone else having this issue?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I will try this and see if it works. Does the fact that I  have an HDD make a difference? Also did those cleaned mods make themselves after you cleaned the DLCs? Or did you have to create a new mod via your overwrite files?

Edited by Fauwyr

Depends if it's something like a hotfix or an add on. If it's a hotfix (i.e. an update that overwrites some, but not all the original mod files) you should probably always merge it, add-ons (additional files not included in the original mod) you can add as a new mod or merge it, it doesn't really matter.

If you're updating a mod to a new version (a full update that includes the files from the previous version), you should always choose "replace" instead of merge.