MOD S.T.E.P. fix plugin order with LOOT failed exit code 3221225477

aba42

Question

Having played Skyrim with 252 mods (using NMM only for load order), I decided to "clean up" the experience, and use the guidance in the UserNeovalen S.T.E.P. guide Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition.  Got a clean, no mods, Skyrim install (i.e., Skyrim, Update, Dawnguard, HearthFires, Dragonborn, HighResTexturePack 1, 2, and 3. That's it, nothing else.  I began going through all of the S.T.E.P.s.  I put Mod Organizer, SKSE (select files), LOOT, TES5Edit, and WryeBash all in the root directory of <Steam><steamapps><common><Skyrim>, per several online suggestions that they ALL be located there (that wasn't clear from the S.T.E.P. guide).  I began going through the MOD Organizer setup.  I got to the <LOOT><Run><Sort> instruction.  That puppy hums for a few seconds, then generates an error window "loot failed. exit code was: 3221225477".   The little messages at the bottom of the Mod Organizer screen say "no more processes in job".  I have been unable to find ANY solution to this problem, other than suggestions that ALL of these programs associated with Mod Organizer need to be in that Skyrim Root Folder (i.e., on the same level as the<Data> folder, NOT inside the <Data> folder).  So, what the heck am I doing wrong?   Yes, I have Norton Security Sweep.  No, the Firewall AND the Anti-Virus are both disabled during this process, JUST in case Norton tried to be too helpful.  Suggestions welcome, especially if they resolve the problem and I may continue?  Thanks!  Allen

post-8660-0-58562700-1452638062_thumb.png

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

DOES anyone have the HRDLC01 Optimized, HRDLC02 Optimized, and HRDLC03 Optimized files?  They would be greatly appreciated for this non-programmer, non-IT person!  Thank you!!  Allen  Otherwise, lookout DDSopt, here I come!  Ugh!!

Nope, I really tried, but am unsure exactly how to configure DDSOpt, based on the STEP instructions.  They probably make a whole lot of sense to someone who does this for a living, but for me, I cannot figure out which directories are being used, nor which specific DDSOpt option configurations are to be used merely for making  the three HRDLC Optimized files, let alone any I'll need to make later.  Can someone help, or should I just bag this whole mess?

I sincerely apologize to all concerned for having taken your time.  I wholly misread the intent of STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures to mean ONLY Standard Definition files were addressed at that link from here: 

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9.2#2.D._Fixes. 

I had not realized that it also includes the High Definition Files.  I am downloading clean sets of both, now, and will probably need the Optional File "Step Optimized Vanilla Textures - Standard Version" as it covers "All vanilla DDSopt-imized textures (no resolution caps, compression and mip-map optimized) not covered by STEP mods. Dawnguard, Hearthfires, and Dragonborn required."  I may be back, later, after having digested all above, as well as these new downloads.  Enjoy your tea and crumpets!!  And, again, thank you all!  Allen

P.S.  I truly believe all of my confusion would have disappeared if the link in the STEP instructions:  "or, alternatively, download and install the MO ready packages here.", which points to the Optimized Vanilla Structures here (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57353/?), had instead pointed to the STEP Skyrim Total Enhancement Project here (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11/?).  Oh well, water under the proverbial damn!  Allen

Hi Allen,

I took a look at your link to Neo's recommended Optimized Textures mod, and it seems that the author of that mod is having some difficulties uploading the HD Optimized Textures for the base game. He has a link for the HD DLC Textures, but the name of the download link for the HD base textures says not to download it yet.

Also, just to clear up some of the initial confusion, when many of us read "STEP", we assume the main, official STEP guide, not Neovalen's Skyrim Revisited: Legendary Edition ("SR:LE"). They are two different guides, with different installation instructions.

I'll let Neo know about the Optimized Textures, assuming he hasn't seen it already.

Good luck! :-)

Well, DRAT!  I thought I WAS using "the" STEP version.  Do you recommend I start over with the official STEP Guide?  The reason I ask is that, having acquired all of the tools for Neovalen's SR:LE version, the one tool I'm having trouble understanding (and thus am unable to derive the load order he depicts, as I am not really sure how to apply to the HighResTexturePacks) is DDSopt.  I was going to attempt it again this morning (it's 5:30a here on the left coast of the US) with fresh eyes to see if it made any more sense.  Without those HRDLC01, 02, and 03 Optimized files, I'm not sure I should continue on with SR:LE, or wait for those three files to be loaded. 

I just looked over the official STEP guide.  It seems to me that the best approach may be to continue from where I am, but switch from SR:LE to the beginning of the official STEP guide.  Should that work?  Or, do you recommend I restart completely vanilla and give this another shot?  OR, should I try to continue muddling through with SR:LE?

The only other question I have right now, if I continue using the official STEP guide, is:  Under !.D.2. SkyrimPrefs.ini [Display], I intend to use at least one ENB (I don't know how those work, yet, but will find out).  So, should I leave  

bFloatPointRenderTarget=0

as "0" for now, and then change it to "1" when I load an ENB?  OR, knowing that I intend to add an ENB(s), should I change it to "1" at this time?

STEP is a bit less advanced than SR:LE. STEP sticks to 100% lore-friendly, while SR:LE deviates a little bit. SR:LE is updated by Neo a few times a week, while STEP is updated every few months, besides minor wiki changes. SR:LE also has probably double the mods, and recommends an ENB, whereas STEP is fairly conservative in its approach.

It just depends what you want out of the game. Personally I run STEP Extended, and I'm currently looking at adding Vividian ENB to the mix.

If you do plan to switch over to the main STEP guide, then I suggest comparing the two up to the point that you are at. You know what you have already done for SR:LE, so you should be able to see if there are any major differences.

If there are any major differences, best to address them now. The main thing I notice up to the point you're at is that SR:LE assumes you will be running an ENB (specifically Vividian), while the main STEP guide assumes you are not adding an ENB (but it mentions changes needed; it gives you the option).

I always recommend to get STEP running and tested before adding an ENB, as then you can more easily pinpoint any issues (if you have any) with the ENB installation. Take notes of anything that you may need to change when you add your ENB (such as .ini changes, different installation options for certain mods, etc.), and apply them later in one fell swoop when you add an ENB. Make sure any mods you re-install when you do this go back in the same priority number in MO (left pane) as they were before.

Anyway, good luck! :-)

What I mean about "continue from where I am" on is, in the STEP instructions, which I have now started, I have made the INI changes, and am up to the point of installing the STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures. 

Will I harm anything if I use MO to remove the Optimized Vanilla Textures - SD, Opt. Dawnguard Text. - SD, Opt. HearthFires Text. - SD, and Opt. Dragonborn Text. - SD, and then installing the Optional STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures - Standard Version? 

OR, do I really need to undo MO all the way back to the beginning, delete it, redownload MD, and start from scratch?  And, since I decided to use at least one ENB (however they work), I've answered my question above, and set bFloatPointRenderTarget=1.  Thank you for your time!!  Allen

JUST got your previous response.  OK, I'll change bFloatPointRenderTarget=0, and proceed without ENB.  Just let me know whether to continue on here (removing my vanilla's and installing yours) or redo MO from scratch (the ini's are all edited already).   Thanks!

P.S.  Are you guys in Australia (i.e., 17 hours ahead of us {or subtract 7 and add a day})?  It's 1:37p  here in Vancouver, WA.

You should be fine to delete those mods and add the STEP Vanilla Optimized textures. The beauty of MO is the fact that it never overwrites any files (it stores them separately), so there is never any issue uninstalling or re-installing mods (except in your save games, always start a new game!).

If I were you, I would review STEP's detailed instructions for MO and the other utilities you have already added, and make sure they jive with what you have already done for SR:LE. Besides that you should be fine.

There are folks from all over. I think many are from the US. There is definitely at least one person that responded in this thread from Australia, and I am in western Canada (running on Mountain time).

I'm fairly new to STEP and modding in general (<1 year experience), but I like to help when I can, if I know the answer. :-) GrantSP and Greg have been helping people here since before I knew what STEP was.

The real folks you should thank are the the mod authors, as well as the guys who run and maintain STEP (I think the folks still active are: z929669, TechAngel85, EssArrBee, and DoubleYou), and of course Neovalen for his amazing achievement of SR:LE. How one guy maintains that guide alone I will never know, lol.

Anyway, happy modding! Now that you have switched to STEP, if you run into any other issues, feel free to post on the General section of the forums.

Cheers.