Welcome to Step, you probably messed everything up the 1st time and gave up, without saying a word to anyone.

orionstyles

Question

You guys really need to mainstream STEP and I'm going to be blunt, and the truth will hurts... When you invite a new guest over to your house, do you mention all the booby traps they must navigate to get from the sidewalk to your front door, before you open the door, kick them in the nuts and leave them bleeding in a ditch?

The 1st thing you need on the WIKI page is a "NEW PEOPLE CLICK HERE" flashing link that cannot be overlooked.
The 2nd thing you need on the NEXUS mod page is a big red warning on your files. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS AND THINK IT IS STANDALONE! THERE ARE MANY HOOPS TO JUMP THROUGH. VISIT THE THE STEP WIKI PAGE 1ST.

How did I get to this level of hostility in about 3 hours?
1st thing I did was download the  STEP COMPILATION INSTALLER without having mod organizer, because I am a real man and can manage files on my own: WRONG: 700ish MBs of bandwidth wasted.
2nd thing I did was end up here somehow. https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9.2 Not sure how I ended up there, but it sure wasn't the 1st think I clicked and I probably didn't get to it from the WIKI splash page.

1) Now, what is all this stuff before part "1.A. Install Steam & Skyrim". Have any of you actually read it? Do you think someone new is going to read it? Give your head a shake.
2) Why is there not an INI file you can simply copy paste instead of going through all these settings 1 at a time (some of which are already default to the entry shown).
3) I got as far as step 2B and glanced at step 2C before I realized I had left the land of cool geektopia. Streamline all of this process. A quick glance around the forums shows that requests for help are more like group therapy sessions rather than technical clarification.

I found an alternative to step pretty quickly. RCRN. Not because it's better, but because there is no nonsense involved to make Skyrim look nice.

Do your community a favor and make an executable that installs a base STEP package for people who don't want to do all of these things (I get it, experimental mod management is a more fun game for all of you then Skyrim itself)

Now let me tell you why you should listen and implement my requests.
If there is one thing the Milgram Experiment has taught anyone, it is that the government knows who to place in national security. (Authoritarian personalities that are easily swayed to abuse their granted power)
One of these days, some dorky spook is going to visit your project, have a mental meltdown trying to use it, and then get his jollies surgically ruining your lives by abusing their power using fusion centres.

PS, I did not "Search the forums before posting here!"

Edited by Nebulous112
Edited out offensive language

11 answers to this question

It took me a few tries to get familiar with STEP, however, I didn't rage at the staff for something they couldn't control. This is difficult stuff to try for the first time, and there is a learning curve, I don't think that can really be helped.

Reading is a requirement. The fact that you or other users don't or didn't read is not something that we can control.

@orionstyles - We welcome constructive criticism here at STEP, but please stay civil in your commentary.

I have edited your post to remove the offensive comments. Please reference the STEP Community Citizenship guidelines.

We don't edit user's posts during moderation. Leave it intact so that the entire community can see the behavior that received the warning.

Ha, if there was a compilation it would likely be over 10GB, probably even over 20GB.

Since the compilation is a WIP, its fairly small. 700MB is nothing, if you are on a metered connection you should have read into things before jumping in and hoping for the best.

I'm lazy, this is something I would do, don't be me.

This guy is effectively a spammer in my book. We also received an email filled with plenty of wasted energy spent on insulting the community and guide. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but when posting an opinion or a criticism, it must at least be somewhat civil. the OP was modified by one of our newer moderators, so the context is much more seemingly civil than the original OP. This is not our standard practice, so apologies for lack of proper context. (no worries mods, good intentions and all).

OP'er also sent us a rather flaming email for whatever reason. Lots of energy to spend on DE-constructive criticism, apparently. Anyway, this is clearly not a member that joined for any reason other than casting rubbish about, so we won't be seeing him/her around here anymore.

Closing topic and moving on ;)