Infinite load screens. Help?

humanman

Question

Hi. I just finished setting up STEP Extended with Mod Organizer. The game was running fine until I finished with the last few mods like DynoDOLOD. Now the game starts up fine but when I try to load a game or start a new game I get stuck in a never ending load screen.

Can anybody give me some ideas of things I can try to resolve this? Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks for replying guys. I'll look into the SKSE setup.

I have a Intel i7, 4GB RAM, and GTX 970 4GB. I figure my system is adequate.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the memory blocks log lol.

CPU is definitely good as is your GPU, but the only part that seems to be lacking is the 4GB memory, iirc Windows (if indeed you are running windows) needs at least 4Gb minimum to run adequately so having just 4gb might give you errors or problems in general, What are your SKSE.ini lines, specifically related to memory ?

I think the most reliable one to go with unless your running 4k textures is

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Memory blocks log is an SKSE plugin which when run monitors the game for memory usage, it will help to accurately define what exact settings you should be running in SKSE.ini, when installed go to your skyrim installation folder > SKSE > Plugins > MemoryBlocksLog.ini (I believe, it has been a while since I used it) and set logging to 1 to turn it on, load up your game and play as normal for an hour or so, then assuming you haven't crashed exit out and go back to the SKSE > Plugins folder and open up MemoryBlocksLog logfile and there you'll see Block 1| Block 2

Block 1 and Block 2 will list in numerical form the amounts of memory used and if your game crashed it will list the last amount used prior to your crash.

For note DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB at a value of 768 is the combination of Block 1 and Block 2 combined and the value of ScrapHeapSizeMB is the value of Block 2 by itself.

If everything is installed to it's correct directory then the "MemoryBlocksLog.log" file should be inside the folder SKSE found by navigating to either Data > SKSE > Plugins or by checking the picture that Nebulous shared, I just ran Memory Blocks Log for a good hour or more and it produced a log for me without problems, so perhaps Nebulous is right and your installation structure is not quite right, either that or if you created the ini yourself is it listed as an ini file or does it show SKSE.ini.txt as some do when created with a text editor.

@ TechAnglel:

I had always thought that the ScrapHeap should remain 256 but I still see so many people recommend changing it to something like 384 or even 512 and it confuses me how they can still be getting it wrong after so much work testing and verifying has gone in to finding the correct and most reliable settings.

Edited by Rebel47

So... nice to see this thread already here for me to chime in.

After two days of troubleshooting I would like to add that I am also facing the infinite loading screens with DynDolod.

I don't think it is an issue with any of my settings nor my system.

But to be on the save side I even went and set Vividian to Performance and re-ran DynDolod (after checking all info and threads and installing everything associated with it fresh and clean)

on Low after having tried Medium before. All is going well, no error messages from the DynDolod Patch, all done in accordance with SR-LE guidelines. Infinite loading screens 8 out of 10 times.

Drop Dyndolod and all is running rock solid...

Edited by Ogham

I think you should double check the skse.ini settings and install and enable Memory Blocks Log to see if DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB in skse.ini needs to be increased. The STEP recommended setting is DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768 and should be fine if you are using STEP 2.2.9.2 Core or Extended with the recommended medium-resolution meshes and textures and the medium-resolution LOD settings in DynDOLOD. If you install high-resolution meshes and textures, use the high-resolution DynDOLOD output, are using an ENB preset (like Vividian), and/or you are using SR:LE you may need to increase DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024 or so.

All of these extras demand a little bit more memory in DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB and the best way to determine for certain is to enable Memory Blocks Log, play until you reproduce the crash, and check the log output. If you have for example DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768, the first line should be 512 256 to indicate the memory patch is configured correctly. If the last line when the game crashes is also 512 256, you need to increase DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB and run the playthough again.