TES5Edit Warning: You WILL get a crash and lose your SR Conflict Resolution.esp

fightinfilipino

Question

so i just flushed the last five hours of work trying to resolve conflicts using TES5Edit. the goddamned program FROZE in the middle of an edit.

while moving a record, i got a popup from TES5Edit starting with "You've been actively using this program for a while now" and asking for an endorsement on Skyrim Nexus. unfortunately, this popup seemed to have FROZEN the program. i could not click on the OK button on the popup or do anything else in TES5Edit.

i suppose this is meant more as a warning than anything else: while working on your SR Conflict Resolution.esp, SAVE the .esp by either closing the program every hour or so.

from the various things i've found on the internet, this is something that apparently has stuck around since TES4edit. it is INFURIATING. i am LIVID right now. this is absolutely NOT Neovalen's fault; apparently the folks currently working on the xEdit program know of the popup and don't think it's an issue. quite frankly, there's no way now that i will ever endorse their work.

Neo, i appreciate the detailed work you continue to put into SR:LE. i do think a warning about the TES5Edit freeze issue in your conflicts guide would be good to add.

meanwhile, i guess i'm going to start from scratch.

8 answers to this question

so i just flushed the last five hours of work trying to resolve conflicts using TES5Edit. the goddamned program FROZE in the middle of an edit.

while moving a record, i got a popup from TES5Edit starting with "You've been actively using this program for a while now" and asking for an endorsement on Skyrim Nexus. unfortunately, this popup seemed to have FROZEN the program. i could not click on the OK button on the popup or do anything else in TES5Edit.

i suppose this is meant more as a warning than anything else: while working on your SR Conflict Resolution.esp, SAVE the .esp by either closing the program every hour or so.

from the various things i've found on the internet, this is something that apparently has stuck around since TES4edit. it is INFURIATING. i am LIVID right now. this is absolutely NOT Neovalen's fault; apparently the folks currently working on the xEdit program know of the popup and don't think it's an issue. quite frankly, there's no way now that i will ever endorse their work.

Neo, i appreciate the detailed work you continue to put into SR:LE. i do think a warning about the TES5Edit freeze issue in your conflicts guide would be good to add.

meanwhile, i guess i'm going to start from scratch.

You could download the premade one at the top of the page, in case you don't want to start from scratch. :)

I've seen that popup before but it didn't freeze when I saw it... thankfully.

You could download the premade one at the top of the page, in case you don't want to start from scratch. :)

I've seen that popup before but it didn't freeze when I saw it... thankfully.

i think the premade one might be the cause of the CTDs i mentioned in my other thread :)

i wanted to go through the conflicts resolution process myself in part to learn what was involved and in part to reduce the chances of further CTDs.

i'll give the premade one a go and see what happens!

i think the premade one might be the cause of the CTDs i mentioned in my other thread :)

i wanted to go through the conflicts resolution process myself in part to learn what was involved and in part to reduce the chances of further CTDs.

i'll give the premade one a go and see what happens!

Sounds good (minus the CTDs of course) but in any case - I just uploaded a new version for TheChoiceIsYours legendary changing its name (again). So make sure your updated to the latest (1.5.1).

You worked for 5 hours and didn't save at least once? Learn from mistakes, especially when using free software with no guarantees.

i just...wow really?

i understand you're one of the authors of TES5Edit/xEdit. you're of course in a position to know the software well.

an end user like myself in comparison is trying to learn how to use the software to get mods working. i've reviewed what materials are out there, gone through Gopher's hyper detailed videos, and Sharlikran's more meandering rough draft conflict resolution video. until this thread, i had no idea you could save using the Ctrl-S shortcut. i also didn't know until after some google searching that there is a -IKnowWhatImDoing switch for TES5Edit.

i've definitely learned my lesson and will save often. but surely you can see how frustrating it is in having a random popup show up in the middle of a user workflow. you don't see that in decent freeware; usually you only see that sort of crap in malware or worse.

people mod because their favorite games could improve and be more fun (from little bits that might be awesome in some RTS's, to Bethesda's lacking QA in their open world games, even to EA's outright disdain to customers in releasing half-baked games). the modding tools used for this shouldn't have the same sort of frustrating cruft. i get that the pop up is from Elminster's original work, and i certainly respect it. but there HAS to be a way to move that message to either the program startup splash or to the program close screen.

in short: yeah, i'll save often now that i know it's even possible. but please please help your users and have some sympathy for the user experience. i realize you basically do this in your free time on a volunteer basis, but this is a seemingly-known problem now.

It is a known problem, but resolving it probably means removing endorsement notification left by original author of xEdit. And I don't have any moral right to remove it or change how it works. Even if you didn't know abot Ctrl+S, just restarting xEdit to save is enough. Working for 5 hours without saving in any software, even that costs thousands of $$$, is unreliable to say the least. The power could have gone off for example and lead to the same loss, or your windows crashed, or whatever.

I'm sorry for you lost time, but my opinion stays the same - no need to "wow", learn from mistakes.

Saving frequently is good practice no matter the application, xEdit aside (Word, Wiki software, etc.)

Sucks that happened, OP, but it is preventable.  Every time you save you'll get a dated copy of your ESP file in case you need to restore from a previous version or whatever.