Using Links on the Wiki

TechAngel85

Question

No I don't remember, sorry. Far too much to keep up with. Opening a new tab is default behavior for the browsers I've used so I didn't notice any issue.

If we're wanting the internal links to behave as external links, it would be better to have S4N change the behavior in the wiki rather then skirting the system. I'll put in a feature request to him to see if this is possible before reverting those.

Except where it causes confusion in regards to how links are being generated.

Given the problems associated with the external link method, regardless of how infrequent, it is far better to teach users new tricks via a short blurb at the beginning of every guide that not only helps them on this Wiki, but on the internet as whole. It also removes the case of someone else coming along 5 months from now and saying, "Why are these links using external when internal is so much better? (because they are)". It also provides poor examples to new-comers on how to generate links if they take guides as a reference point to learning how to do things.

Learn one new trick, or risk N number of problems with the current solution? Seems like a no-brainer to me. This is feeling like a "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" situation. :)

EDIT: Bottom line is, internal links are better than external links for pages on the Wiki. They exist for a very good reason, and it is not best practice to use external link's for internal pages. There are edge cases such that you have to use an external link to use the API (such as providing a link to edit the page within the page itself). Best practice is consistency, and that is being broken on more than one level. While I agree it is desirable to have the links open in a new tab, it is extremely simple to do so without breaking convention, while also avoiding confusion. The needs of the many can be applied here, however in the sense that there are more problems that surface through the use of external links that can be avoided by simply educating users on a means by which to open links in a new window/tab that is simple, provides an additional option (window versus tab), and can be applied in all aspects of their browsing lives. We should not be second guessing what is best for the masses based on personal preference, especially when it reduces their control.

Such lively debate about links since I've been away. ::D: I'll toss my two cents out here.

If I recall correctly what spurred the desire for the external link format on the Guide was a few users complaining about navigation issues of having to go back and forth and losing their place too easily. Instead of doing our norm and teaching best practices like we do in nearly all other areas, we catered to the users that were complaining. It made sense at the time but now with some new information, it no longer does.

After reading this discussion, I have to side with s4n on this one. We should cater to users to make things easier for them whenever possible, but not at the expense of potential issues, as s4n has pointed out, for ourselves now our in the future. One standard should be set and followed and that standard should be the default standard that is used everywhere.

I've known about the middle mouse click for the better part of ten years, if not longer (I was using it in HS). It's not like is a new thing on the block. We've gone out of our way to teach users the right way to do things and I see no reason why this should be any different.

This is fine, but one of you is tasked with clearly and succinctly writing up a very brief general "Navigation Basics for the STEP Guides" article to be linked in an updated standard header for all guide pages ... IF we ever decide to change this behavior in the main guide :)

Either way, there is a lot of room for error in updating those links, particularly those for the 'W' wiki links within the mod table template. This cannot be tested for verification in the dev guide, because it too relies on the universal template. This is a dev wiki task. Page history will reveal the proper change for those adventurous enough to delve into that, as I don't want to change what I think is a perfectly good thing at present.

There is no practical reason to change now other than adherence to best practice, as nothing at all is broken. It works just as intended and is currently not in anyone's way (and [almost] everyone is happy with this behavior). If that changes, I will happily do the work.

I'm getting confused on something I'm trying to do on the MO wiki page.

I added two more images to the gallery, one from the Nexus page showing the main window with a Dark theme and another of the settings from the main MO guide. No matter what I do the Dark themed image will not show as part of the gallery and insists on loading in a full tab. What is wrong with this? Are there size restrictions or something?