Better Stealth AI for Followers - No Torch while Sneaking (by kryptopyr and nbtc971)

rootsrat

I am sorry for posting this question here but could not think of a better place for it.

I have an issue with some followers(not all), vanilla and mod added, sandboxing in a tight pattern around and through my character. I am pulling my hair out trying to find the cause. I have had this issue with both ATF and EFF so I doubt it has anything to do with them. I was hopping that the modding gurus here might have some insight on this issue. I have tried hiding some idol.hkx files but that does not solve it. or I have not found the right one. What should I be looking for and what would be the best way of searching for the cause besides uninstalling everything and going 1 or 5 mods at a time till i find it.

The STEP mod Come Together N Out of the Way allows you to adjust the followers distance in the MCM menu.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The STEP mod Come Together N Out of the Way allows you to adjust the followers distance in the MCM menu.

Yes but this does not touch the problem I can leave it at default, change to a little closer, it does not matter.  They still sandbox right through my char too often.  Besides I thought that setting in Come Together was for distance between followers and has nothing to do with distance of closest follower to your char.

If you watch this short video, https://youtu.be/wqED7D8wLkM  (1:28), it shows what the followers do when "A little closer is chosen, then More closer, then Skyrim default.  To me it looks like it has nothing to do with how close they follow you but how close together they are to each other.  Sometimes the lead follower will be back aways, sometimes very close.  As shown when the author changed from More closer (Max closeness default) back to Skyrim Default (most spread default) the lead char ran all the way up to the PC.  Perhaps it is this mod that messes up there follow distance to the PC but I don't think it has to do with the MCM settings.  However if I disable this mod and test I may find that this is my issue.  I will do so.

Tried deactivating Better Stealth AI for Followers, Follower Trap Safety and Traps Make Noise.  Still no fix.  So those are not my issue.  I am thinking of firing up a vanilla game to see if followers there do the same.  

I think it has to do with the way EFF and AFT do the auto sandbox, they use Serana's sandboxing package (or some copy of it), looks like Serana has no concept of personal space (I remember Gopher having the same issue in his LP). For me, with the latest EFF, it happens with any follower and so far I couldn't find any way around it.
I guess there's a way to set a minimum radius around the player where to followers should sandbox, I couldn't find it.

It definitely sounds like sandboxing. In EFF MCM you can turn the feature off if desired.

Yes, I thought however that putting people into sandbox mode should not make some npc's orbit around the PC in a 6-8 foot circle.  (Crossing that circle to random points, not spinning) I am testing out Simple multiple followers v834b, to see if it's the same.  It seems to me that with all the Modding people do you would think someone came up with a solution and wrote a sandbox mod that fixes that most annoying behavior.  

As a note:  Vanilla does this as well so it is a product of any mod, as far as I can tell, setting the followers to sandbox.

• 6 years later...

It's quite un-clear what do this mod. If I read right the history, the base of start of this mod was a script furnished on a site dedicated to Skyrim by some modder resolving the question of a mod that let followers unequip torches while you are sneaking. That was back in 2012. Then later two modders developed the idea on mod released in nexus site.

1) While the player is sneaking, the follower won't initiate combat with nearby hostiles until after the enemy has actually attacked. Once either the follower or the player is attacked, the follower will enter combat like normal.

I play for almost 10 years a a stealth character and none of my followers initiate combat while sneaking with me. The only time when a follower initiate combat is when the enemy detected one of us (either me or the follower).

Some followers mod (EFF is a good example) add a special sneak mode package to followers (in the base alias packages of the follower quest), but as far as I have analyzed these packages "addon" do nothing special

The game has already, harcoded the followers sneak settings in the function SetPlayerTeamMate.

Edited by gamingsrc

What this mod does is clearly described on the mod page.

WHAT THIS MOD DOES
This mod changes follower behavior in three ways. These changes only occur while the player is sneaking. If the player is not sneaking, then the follower's behavior will be unchanged.

1. While the player is sneaking, the follower won't initiate combat with nearby hostiles until after the enemy has actually attacked. Once either the follower or the player is attacked, the follower will enter combat like normal.
  2. If the follower has a torch equipped, they will unequip the torch while sneaking.
  3. When sneaking, the follower will make fewer random comments.

The point (1) is standard in Skyrim Engine without this mod. Followers get aggressive only if they detect enemies trying to attack you or them.

Torch are not the only light sources to use in Skyrim. Chesko has a mod for followers in his lanterns mod.

(that actually the lantern mod I use, but I stripped his scripts from unnecessary codes).

I have a mod that (with hotkey) that prevent followers to go in combat what ever conditions are.

Edited by gamingsrc