Better Stealth AI for Followers - No Torch while Sneaking (by kryptopyr and nbtc971)

rootsrat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly fix some of the issues mentioned (include a SEQ file, carry over changes from EBQO or make a patch). However, some of the other issues are still ongoing known issues because I've not been able to figure out a solution for them.

I've never had a report of the mod causing followers to just stand in place and not follow at all. That makes me suspect some sort of mod conflict, but with just baseline STEP, I'm not sure where the conflict would be. Besides Follower Trap Safety are you using any other mods that might affect followers or NPCs?

I've found that followers don't always use torches when I think they should. There appears to be a certain light threshold that the game detects and only forces the torch to be equipped if the light gets below that number, so sometimes on moonlit nights my followers won't equip torches as all (or only if in shadows). Certain game settings and cell edits may affect this number. I'm not sure if this applies in your case of not, but I thought I'd mention it since the screenshot you provided looks fairly bright.

I have had a few other users report problems with followers standing (just standing...not running forward) while the player sneaks. I can't consistently replicate the problem though. I have had it happen for me but only rarely, and certainly not every encounter (and I don't think I've ever noticed it actually affecting my detection level). I've never been able to figure out what factor causes this to happen (or what causes it to happen for some users and not for others). Any further testing or thoughts from you guys would be greatly appreciated; I would love to figure out the reason for this and hopefully find a way to correct it.

Thanks for commenting, Krypto. As for EBQO, I think that the patch would be better, as obviously not everyone is using that mod. Or maybe the other way around - WilliamImm could implement patch for BSAI in his patch pack for EBQO? Either way, really.

The torch equip issue seems to be dependant on mod set up then, as you said - lots of popular lighting mods out there that may affect this, so I don't think we can class that as an issue with this mod.

The other issues with followers - well, hopefully these will be fixed in time.

I will keep using this mod nevertheless. As I've said, I didn't notice issues with it before (maybe I wasn't paying enough attention). The main advantage to me is that my followers don't charge at every single enemy they see, and this is reason good enough to include this in my load order.

As for STEP inclusion, I'd vote YES, but obviously the final decision is for Admins to make.

I'm going to travel to another state today, so I'll be holding on the tests.

BUT, I found that I'd mis-click in the load order and altered the boss recommendation for this mod.

Like I said, I'll re-run it as soon as I get back.

As for the torch problem, I'd thought it was from game engine mechanics, but I'll alter that to force him to use torches and see if he'd use them while sneaking.

Sorry about the leave of abscence, but it's family. heh

I'll get back on the 16th and pull a rabbit on this and the others ;)

• 11 months later...

It's a regular for me. It works as intended in that you have the dialogue option as described and your followers sneak with you and wont blow your cover. Very useful in tougher games when you need a little help from the band so to speak (or sneak).

I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

::):

I used thus for a while because I usually run with at least one follower in my game that will complement the type of character class I'm playing. I have EFF and Follower Trap Safety, I can recall having the "torch while sneaking" issue on one of my followers. That is what originally drew me to use the mod.

But, I never really actively used the commands in the mod, the passive "torch" AI worked fine although the menu additions were just more clutter. I stopped using BSAfF to reduce such things and scripting.

My solution since then: I just don't give my followers torches unless I want them to use them.

I've used it for a long time and found it useful since my character sneaks a lot. In dungeons and other dangerous places characters that are primarily magic users don't live long if they openly advertise their presence.

For me, this mod's biggest asset isn't that it stops followers from using a torch while sneaking, it's that you can command them not to attack enemies unless they've already caught you and are in attack mode. Very useful indeed and a must for me.

I think if it should be accepted, it should probably be as part of Extended, though.. 

I've been using this since last year whenever playing as a sneak/archer character, for both the no-torch while sneaking and the don't rush to attack features.

The design smartly only added one line to the top-level of the follow dialogue reply list, that enters into it's own dialog tree, so I don't mind that. I suppose it would be nice if there was an MCM setting for that instead, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

There is the non-voiced aspect of the dialog options, which may be a turn-off for some people, but so many other mods handle things this way that I'm used to it myself.

I have never seen any problems with the scripts not working, or any lag / delay. I have very good faith in kryptopyr's scripting abilities.

Edited by keithinhanoi

The dialogue options should actually have voiced responses (as long as the follower is using one of the standard follower voice types).  Also, I can add a toggle to the dialogue lines, so that anyone who wants to hide them will be able to do so.

Does this have any problems with follower mods?

I use it with EFF and both are working fine.

The dialogue options should actually have voiced responses (as long as the follower is using one of the standard follower voice types).  Also, I can add a toggle to the dialogue lines, so that anyone who wants to hide them will be able to do so.

If this was another MCM menu, then I'd say it's unnecessary. Yet another menu with just one toggle - not needed IMHO