STEP v2.10.0 Development

TechAngel85

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this isn't the place. I got somewhat confused by what I read in this thread and in the 'versioning' article. Specifically the '3.0 when Wrye Bash gets official support'. Does that mean you'll be dropping Mod Organizer in favor of Wrye Bash?

No idea what you read, but 3.0 will not have anything to do with WB. STEP is staying with MO for the foreseeable future.

• Switch to official Wrye Bash support: 3.0.0 (major change resets minor/hotfix)

I know it was under 'examples' but it spooked me a bit anyway :ermm:

Sorry.

I know it was under 'examples' but it spooked me a bit anyway :ermm:

Sorry.

I see what you meant. I was trying to figure out where this was being referred to, and you meant in the link to the versioning page. Yeah, no that is just an example of what would constitute enough of a change to be considered "major" and bump up the first number in the version schema.

Has it been suggested already to mention TES5edit merged patches in the main STEP page? maybe for people who won't be using the STEP patches or people who intend to install additional mods after STEP. Maybe even provide official .modgroups for the STEP patches.

Has it been suggested already to mention TES5edit merged patches in the main STEP page? maybe for people who won't be using the STEP patches or people who intend to install additional mods after STEP. Maybe even provide official .modgroups for the STEP patches.

We recommend using the bashed patcher from wrye bash because it does a lot more to combine the leveled lists. 

We recommend using the bashed patcher from wrye bash because it does a lot more to combine the leveled lists. 

Absolutely. But I meant for general conflicts other than leveled lists. A paragraph or two on the troubleshooting section. Just explaining basic automatic merged plugin creation and deleting the leveled lists prior to bashed patch. or even just linking to the TES5edit section of the wiki.

Absolutely. But I meant for general conflicts other than leveled lists. A paragraph or two on the troubleshooting section. Just explaining basic automatic merged plugin creation and deleting the leveled lists prior to bashed patch. or even just linking to the TES5edit section of the wiki.

Definitely good to let the Bashed Patch deal with leveled lists instead of a merged patch.

However, personally, I create a custom xEdit patch for conflict resolution with other mods. I have found that Merged Patches cause more trouble than they are worth (by introducing errors and including things that you didn't want carried over), but that is just my personal opinion. I tried it once, I inspected it in xEdit, and I didn't like the result, lol.

Edit: For people that do not know how to use xEdit, maybe the benefit is more than the downsides. I dunno. I think Ess would know more than I would about it.

Definitely good to let the Bashed Patch deal with leveled lists instead of a merged patch.

However, personally, I create a custom xEdit patch for conflict resolution with other mods. I have found that Merged Patches cause more trouble than they are worth (by introducing errors and including things that you didn't want carried over), but that is just my personal opinion. I tried it once, I inspected it in xEdit, and I didn't like the result, lol.

I know what you mean. The automatic merge can be pretty dumb sometimes. and manual patch is too much hassle to put in the main guide, plus it's already covered in the xEdit guide. In this case the .modgroups would still be a good thing in my opinion and could be silently slipped along with the STEP patches. The user would be left with only post-STEP mod conflicts showing in red.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling and if this should be posted elsewhere instead of here.

Edited by fbrafa