STEP v2.10.0 Development

TechAngel85

So, after two nights of playing with Mator Smash, I'm pretty much all in on it. It is insanely powerful. It can pretty much support bash tags right now and a whole ****-ton more can be added. It only takes about one minute to create a new tag. Each plugin can have it's own special setting too. I'm already creating a set of settings for STEP mods and what they will need, plus about 20 additional tags that Wrye Bash doesn't even have. If there was a way to auto apply those settings then it'd be perfect. Once it's out of alpha, we should move STEP in that direction. It will increase the number of plugins initially from what we do with the STEP Patch, but Mator Smash should have a form of merging at some point as well which will reduce plugins.

This will probably put an end to the STEP Patches as they conceived right now. It will just be stuff that is explicitly needed because we just can't figure out how to make Mator Smash patch that record they way it is needed or to merge plugins that we have permission for. We won't have to worry about compatibility with mods like USLP, ELE, CRF, AOS, RWT, ICAIO, or RS anymore. People can just pick and choose what they want and run the patcher with the settings we tell them to. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hope someday we users can just download a 10Gb file by torrent wich installs everything we need at once... Really...

Its so hard to follow this guides like STEP, beatification-project and GEMS. I always waste 1 week just modding things and it doesn't work in the end.

Just a sugestion...

BTW, good job so far! My game doesn't work with STEP yet, but i have hope it will someday. The guide is so well detailed :;):

Yeah, unfortunately I do not see that ever being possible. It would require every mod author on the list to give permission for STEP to include their mod, which will never happen. Also, it would put STEP in direct conflict with Nexus, which I doubt the STEP team would consider.

Also, what would happen when a mod updated? It would be a tremendous amount of work to re-package the whole thing every time.

Not to mention the security issues with Torrents, and the fact that everyone tends to download and no one ever wants to seed.

Although it would be convenient, unfortunately it is just not feasible. :-(

We have the compilation to help ease the burden. It will grow a bit every release so as we add mods to the guide it won't get much longer overall. I'd love to get 50 or so mods in the compilation. That would save people at least 3 hours of going to each mod page, downloading a file, and installing it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mator Smash seems like the tool that could finally do what bash used to be able to do for oblivion. I would be surprised if it could completely replace a patch because of the cell edits. But it would indeed be tremendously helpful for a lot of patching.

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting to ask this for a while but didn't exactly know where to post it so I hope you don't mind me asking here:

What is the exact process of moving a mod on from testing to accepted? I mean obviously its not going to be numerical based, its mods, they are art so its all subjective, but is it a certain amount of people need to vote for it, a save file needs to be reviewed with the mod in action, some other situation?

The main reason I'm asking is that I would love to do more to be able to help out and get some of these mods the info they need for the decision to go either way and lighten up the load on staff etc if I can :)

... Really... Its so hard to follow this guides like STEP, beatification-project and GEMS. I always waste 1 week just modding things and it doesn't work in the end. ...

BTW, good job so far! My game doesn't work with STEP yet, but i have hope it will someday. The guide is so well detailed :;):

I do not wish to belittle your struggle to get STEP working, as I agree with you, to accomplish the STEP install correctly took me about 2 weeks (spare time only) of reading/understanding mod and mod tool requirements, and the seemingly endless downloads.  I had to back track a few times to correct this or that, but in the end it worked fine for me.  Subsequent corrections to DynDOLOD were not without 'drama' but again, worked it out, so it is possible for a STEP noob to get it done and have a beautiful game first time.

That all said, and while I also agree the STEP guide is quite nicely done, it is written by people who have intimate knowledge of the procedure and tools, and so sometimes what may seem obvious to them is not so for the rest of us.  However once hurdles are solved, you can look back and have difficulty seeing where the issue was after the fact.

My real-life job requires me to do quite a bit of technical writing, including procedural and software guides https://osteoware.si.edu/, so if I can contribute to this community in any way it would be in this capacity providing constructive critique to make the guide more accessible.

Edited by Bandy

I've been wanting to ask this for a while but didn't exactly know where to post it so I hope you don't mind me asking here:

What is the exact process of moving a mod on from testing to accepted? I mean obviously its not going to be numerical based, its mods, they are art so its all subjective, but is it a certain amount of people need to vote for it, a save file needs to be reviewed with the mod in action, some other situation?

The main reason I'm asking is that I would love to do more to be able to help out and get some of these mods the info they need for the decision to go either way and lighten up the load on staff etc if I can :)

When a mod is added as "Testing" users, specifically the STEP team, start games and... test it. ie. how it looks in game, any conflicts with existing mods, determine if textures or meshes from other mods need to be used or dropped based on those in the testing mod stuff like that. Most of the time it is, as you correctly say, a subjective matter where users state their view for inclusion or omission.

If a majority of the staff consider it worthy of inclusion it gets added. The converse is also true and it is dropped from testing.

Mods also have to fall within the STEP Mandate to even be considered in the first place. Mods for Core inclusion must stay strictly within the vanilla artistic direction or be fixes to broken aspects of the vanilla game. Extended is more lax and is ultimately what the community and we (staff) feel is right for STEP. The staff has the final say and it even takes new staff a while to catch on to what is "right" for STEP and what isn't because over time STEP had developed its own style as well.

is this the right place for mod suggestions?  

I suppose Vivid Weathers doesn't exactly fit STEP Core, but man is it beautiful, and it plays nicely with AOS, ELE, and so on.

Rustic Clothing, Forsaken & Nordic Murals are all pretty amazing also.

Stunning Statues of Skyrim is great

and I personally like Real Ice much better than Just Ice from the Ruffled Feather, and at least with the right options is probably closer to vanilla as well.

Not So Fast - Mages Guild

Loot and Degradation

Simply Knock

ESF Companions - requirements only

... lol.  This is all stuff that I use, from a STEP: Extended install with bits of Dreadflopps' packs, plus a couple things I took from SRLE... anyway these are the ones that I feel like make sense within the STEP mandate, at least as I understand it.

Edited by baronaatista