born-again newb is vexed

SmegmusMagnus

Question

Howdy all; I am returning from a lengthy sabbatical and have run into difficulties. 

I'll keep it brief;

- I'm religiously following the guide, yet I find that my game wants to crash when (either/or/and) saving (through sleeping in bed), loading a save in new session, or making environmental   transitions (into/out of buildings, etc.)

-This is happening currently, though I have stopped installations at Enchantment Reload fix

-I installed all of STEP Extended, as per guide, this last weekend and experienced the same difficulties (CTDs)

-I cannot get past the idea that it may have something to do with LOOT, which never seems to change any ordering at all.  When last I played BOSS was all the rage and I experienced no difficulties there; I am trying to get uo to speed with LOOT, so pleas don't think I'm trying to parasite my way through on your wisdom alone.

-I had wondered if (in previous install last weekend) it may have had to do with the meta-data info, which I have no idea what to do with

-I had also wondered if the 'hide files' requirement was involved, as I was deleting these files before it occured to me that they might still be functioning even though hidden (don't understand how to hide files in MO)

It should be noted, though, that at this point in my re-installation I have not yet been instructed to hide files, and the mod after Enchantment Reload fix (Enhabced Lighting for ENB-Lite) is the first that requires meta-data from me, so I fail to see any relevence to the problem from these directions.

I hope that my question is comprehensive enough without being overly broad.  Obviously, the dilemma is one of functionality/stability.

Thank you.