Mo adding lines to skyrim.ini

Octopuss

Question

I don't know when it started (I am sure it didn't happen in past, but what exactly past is I have no idea), but since unknown time ago, MO has been adding

bInvalidateOlderFiles=0
SInvalidationFile=ArchiveInvalidation.txt

into my skyrim.ini. I have the inis always open in Notepad++, and everytime I run MO, I get this popup that the file changed and whether I want to reload it, which is annoying.

Does anyone know why is MO doing this, and which settings are responsible? I couldn't find them. Also, is this happening to anyone else?

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm merely highlighting that the more likely scenario is that another tool is adding these lines into the INIs. MO, of itself, doesn't do this.

If not Notepad++ reloading a previous version then perhaps a Wrye Bash setting is somehow being added in each time that profile is loaded.

Something is adding them, I just don't think it's MO.

Eliminate as many variables as possible to find out which it is.

If you DO NOT have Automatic Archive Invalidation set for that profile then these lines are added.

If you DO then they are removed.

I may have misread you opening post and assumed you are talking about a profile that hasn't been changed that is somehow switching these settings, but if what you are actually saying is you don't recall making those changes then that is why they are shown.

So just check each profile to ensure you have it enabled where you want it and disabled where you don't.

Well they are not removed, only changed. See below.

Without Auto Archive Invalidation I get the following lines:

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

bInvalidateOlderFiles=0

SInvalidationFile=ArchiveInvalidation.txt

With AAI I get the following:

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Invalidation.bsa, Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

SInvalidationFile=

Skyrim - Invalidation.bsa is added to the top of the archives tab with the latter and removed with the former example.

In my case, the same lines are added regardless of settings.

It's not a problem if that's the case, although some might find it annoying, which they should get over, since Skyrim itself rewrites SkyrimPrefs.ini every time the game is run.

I don't think so. If it did, Notepad++ would remind me the file changed (I have both inis permanently open for some nonsense reasons).

No I don't.

edit:

Actually, I probably am not getting such popups because the file gets rewritten with identical contents.

Anyway, does Tannin still come here? Until he says something, it's probably pointless to discuss this.

Edited by Octopuss

Enhanced editors like Notepad++, TextPad and UltraEdit do not lock files when they are opened for edit, nor do they revert files that are open for edit. These tools simply notify the user when the opened file has been modified, and they provide an option to update to current version, so these apps can safely be used during game operation without any worries that they are locking or otherwise interfering with normal operations on the file in question.

It could be MO doing the edits, and this seems likely; however, it also seems possible that MO interaction with one or more particular mods could be the culprit. I would want to verify with default profile (no mods) if that has not been done already (think someone posted they tried this with same result). I would also recommend affected users install a different version of MO to a different directory after complete removal of affected version (including any reg entries; back up current MO directory!) ... could it be .Net interaction? Maybe uninstall/reinstall that if still no results.