Fallout 4 General and Mod Discussion. It Just Works!

I suspect another HRDLC like Skyrim will come out. As much as people crap on Bethesda's stuff, it is still really good work. A little lazy in some places but overall it's great.

The bricks not matching around the corner sets my internal OCD twin into overdrive. Will I still play it regardless if I have criticism of it? You're god damn right! Graphics aren't a measure of gameplay quality, but it does add to the atmosphere I guess. 'Great' though? Nah, decent at best. 

Anyway, screen-space reflections is a good start! That's why rain looks the best time in the game. 24/7 rain mod inbound! 

I'm not a huge fallout fan (blasphemy?) and excuse my intrusion but: I'm getting Pingu tingles watching those screenshots. Is it just me, or does everything kinda look like it's made of Plasticine ?

Other than that, and the atrocious hud, nothing to really add, as I said I'm not a huge fallout fan.

Edited by Marthenil

I'm not a huge fallout fan (blasphemy?) and excuse my intrusion but: I'm getting Pingu tingles watching those screenshots. Is it just me, or does everything kinda look like it's made of Plasticine ?

Other than that, and the atrocious hud, nothing to really add, as I said I'm not a huge fallout fan.

You don't have to be interested in it to comment about it. In fact you would be less biased. I think what you are seeing is the cartoony approach to the visuals they have gone for. It certainly looks more artistic than realistic. GTA: V has a similar feeling especially with the characters.

You don't have to be interested in it to comment about it. In fact you would be less biased. I think what you are seeing is the cartoony approach to the visuals they have gone for. It certainly looks more artistic than realistic. GTA: V has a similar feeling especially with the characters.

I think it's that AND the lighting, especially in the pre-war scenes. But yeah, not sure how I feel about it. EDIT:  Probably bothering me because it's neither totally cartoon-y nor "realistic" but somewhere in-between.

I'm still probably going to get it, even though I couldn't get into FO3 or NV that much. Maybe this time. 

Edited by Marthenil

I think it's that and the lighting, especially in the pre-war scenes. But yeah, not sure how I feel about it.

I'm still probably going to get it, even though I couldn't get into FO3 or NV that much. Maybe this time. 

It could possibly be a way for them to get the graphics done a bit faster. This kind of styling has got to be easier to implement than something totally realistic. 

Anyway I lost it with this:

The dog on fire was a thing in the videos I linked and also past games. The AI should at least scream and run around if these effects are active.

I'm not a Fallout fan and I have much the same reaction looking at these screenshots and videos. Most of them remind me of a Looney Toons cartoon, but it seems a lot of games these days are designed for consoles. It's quite a bit different from the days when a new game required something north of an $800 video card to play.

I'm not a Fallout fan and I have much the same reaction looking at these screenshots and videos. Most of them remind me of a Looney Toons cartoon, but it seems a lot of games these days are designed for consoles. It's quite a bit different from the days when a new game required something north of an $800 video card to play.

Is this a serious comment Greg?   :O_o: Have you seen how much big games cost to make lately? If it wasn't for console revenue, we wouldn't have half of these games. What did Crysis sell again on PC? 10k I think I last heard. A game released only on PC for a good long time and with high system requirements. Not to mention most people don't have an enthusiast PC and most likely something more medium-end. As I pointed out earlier, go and look at something like Horizon: Zero Dawn and compare it to this. Loony Toons though? That's a bit of an exaggeration is it not?!   ::P:

Bethesda just released a blog post at bethesda.net trying to woo everyone about the graphics because A LOT of communites are dumping on it. I can't pull up the post link because it's messing up, but they released new images:

My fave shot. I wouldn't bat an eye if the Mystery Machine was parked outside. I hope they are explorable.

Fallout4_graph02b.jpg

Fallout4_graph07.jpg

Saliva is back!

Fallout4_graph06.jpg

A lot of light-shaftage! *Giggle*

Fallout4_graph05.jpg

Fallout4_graph03b.jpg

Oh noes! Rain under the bridge! Surely to annoy the community again muhaha! Those splash effects look familiar... Looks exactly the same as the tweaked ones in WATER and RWT I kid you not.

Fallout4_graph03.jpg

Fallout4_graph02.jpg

Fallout4_graph01.jpg

Yay after the war power armour doesn't look like plastic. I hope that paper debris floats up and down. Ah, it won't will it? 

From the blog:

-Tiled Deferred Lighting

-Temporal Anti-Aliasing

-Screen Space Reflections

-Bokeh Depth of Field

-Screen Space Ambient Occlusion 

-Height Fog

-Motion Blur

-Filmic Tonemapping

-Custom Skin and Hair Shading

-Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation 

-Volumetric Lighting

-Gamma Correct Physically Based Shading

Edited by Guest

Well at least the figured out the sorcery that is light beams :) 

And from the overall look they also seem to have made some nice improvements on how they setup their bloom, so it actually match the general materials they use in the game. 

Ofc. they still use the sad distance fog color thing... it is just not a decent idea on its own. Would have been nice if they took some more inspiration from ENB there, and made some more volumetric effects to cover up their bad LOD´s. 

Overall I do still think their tonemapping is sad to look at. But again console games where you have to expect that people are using crap TV´s... so cant really blame them there... but definitely an area where huge overall improvements can be made. 

Is this a serious comment Greg?   :O_o: Have you seen how much big games cost to make lately? If it wasn't for console revenue, we wouldn't have half of these games. What did Crysis sell again on PC? 10k I think I last heard. A game released only on PC for a good long time and with high system requirements. Not to mention most people don't have an enthusiast PC and most likely something more medium-end. As I pointed out earlier, go and look at something like Horizon: Zero Dawn and compare it to this. Loony Toons though? That's a bit of an exaggeration is it not?!   ::P:

No, that just came off really, really bad. Definitely not one of my finer moments.

Don't worry Greg. I just think people should be less divided. It was nowhere near that 'master race' spew I see a lot. This was the Skyrim sales share I last remember:

X360 59%

PS3 27%

PC 14%

See my point, that without those sales, no more series? I know CD PRJKT said the same thing about W3 too. 

Just give me the INIs and I'll be happy. LOL

Shall I send them you from my PC buying contact or will you find them alright? Actually are you getting it?