[Witcher 3][Spoilers] I feel so dirty now!

GrantSP

In my playthrough I find myself constantly up against opponents much stronger than I am, sometimes 2 or 3 times as many levels.

Sometimes I can fight them and manage, usually when there is only 1 of them and even the boss fights are doable, I just recently claimed the 'Cockatrice Trophy' through one such fight.

However in one of the main quest threads involving the 'Bloody Baron' I was completely outplayed no matter which choice I took and since the whole thing was a scripted event I couldn't even retreat to safe location and save my progress.

Geralt at level 5 simply doesn't have the skills or tools required to defeat those enemies, as soon as "Quen" would drop I'd get one-shot and suffer humiliation before I could recover.

This leads me to the topic at hand.

I installed the Debug-console fix and cheated! Now I feel awful. ::(:

Anyone else resorted to these steps? Or is there anything I'm doing wrong, like trying the main questline before building up my character?

In my playthrough I find myself constantly up against opponents much stronger than I am, sometimes 2 or 3 times as many levels.

Sometimes I can fight them and manage, usually when there is only 1 of them and even the boss fights are doable, I just recently claimed the 'Cockatrice Trophy' through one such fight.

However in one of the main quest threads involving the 'Bloody Baron' I was completely outplayed no matter which choice I took and since the whole thing was a scripted event I couldn't even retreat to safe location and save my progress.

Geralt at level 5 simply doesn't have the skills or tools required to defeat those enemies, as soon as "Quen" would drop I'd get one-shot and suffer humiliation before I could recover.

This leads me to the topic at hand.

I installed the Debug-console fix and cheated! Now I feel awful. ::(:

Anyone else resorted to these steps? Or is there anything I'm doing wrong, like trying the main questline before building up my character?

Nope, never cheated. I am guessing your talking about the spectres? Yrden is your friend... and Spectre Oil. :)

Odd. Which fight was that?

I don't remember having much trouble with the Bloody Baron quests, but at that point I was playing at normal difficulty level (I raised it later on), AND I'm pretty sure I was above level 5 - more like 8-9 or so. I think my experience of W3's boss fights was made simpler by wandering around doing A LOT of little stuff before hitting the mainquest fights. I'd say that W3 stays true to the Witcher series' tendency to have s steep difficulty curve early on that flatens out - maybe too much - as you level up. (I ended up changing to the second highest difficulty level about halfway through.)

BTW, couldn't you have just turned down difficulty for that one fight? (I HATE doing that, but I'm pretty sure you can do it.)

[...] It was the spectres [...]  

Oh yeah. Them.

Neovalen already guessed it, but yeah. There's something about spectres in that game - they took me to the cleaners early on.

However, they're not actually all that hard to take out, *once you get the hang of it* - and "the hang" is mostly a matter of using Yrden and strategic retreats so they can't gang up on you. And the right oil helps, presuming you have it already.

Death March, done the wraiths at level 5 and 6 (two playthroughs). Dodge (not roll) all the time, get used to their telegraphs. For the first part.

After you get to the "market square" roll all over the place but beware of the wooden fences, Geralt has a tendency to get stuck.

Overall, it's a really frustrating fight, indeed, and Wraiths are possibly the hardest enemies in the entire game (in my opinion). On Death March, at least, yrden was out of the question ( couldn't really stay there, I had to MOVE) and I had to resort to loading an earlier save and crafting moon dust bombs. The second time around I was more prepared. I dread the moment I'll have to redo it for my new playthrough :P

This quest, and the bloody Nekker Cave in W2 are the only things highlighting the very steep leveling curve CDPR games have.

Don't get me wrong, they are my favourite games of all time, but the leveling system is a minus in the last two titles. W1, not so much.

EDIT: Rereading the thread, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE get surrounded, it's stunlock and death time if you do. That's the whole point of monsters in packs, to overwhelm you. You need to have as much space as possible. Positioning right is like 40% of the fight in these cases.

Edited by Marthenil

Death March, done the wraiths at level 5 and 6 (two playthroughs). Dodge (not roll) all the time, get used to their telegraphs. For the first part.

Nice, now I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for highlighting my ineptitude! :;):

My fingers haven't learnt the "dodge" combo yet. I'm using "rolling" all the time. I think I'm going to delete the last few saves and remove the debug-console and try again at this stage. If others can do this at level 5 then I'll be damned if I can't.

Thank you to all for your input, and the fact you haven't chastised me for cheating. I can do that myself.

I just have to say this again: Witcher3 is the best game I have played ever. Excellent graphics, fluid gameplay, fantastic storylines, brilliant voice acting, ...

Nice, now I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for highlighting my ineptitude! :;):

My fingers haven't learnt the "dodge" combo yet. I'm using "rolling" all the time. I think I'm going to delete the last few saves and remove the debug-console and try again at this stage. If others can do this at level 5 then I'll be damned if I can't.

Thank you to all for your input, and the fact you haven't chastised me for cheating. I can do that myself.

I just have to say this again: Witcher3 is the best game I have played ever. Excellent graphics, fluid gameplay, fantastic storylines, brilliant voice acting, ...

It took me about 3 hours of trying to get it the first time. 

Detailed strategy incoming:

Load up a save before you start the specific quest as you can't backtrack. Buy the moondust recipe (Oxenfurt if I remember well), but this is optional.

Make sure you have some Spectre Oil handy as well.

Go watch the Botchling cutscene, after that, the Baron should be moving with you. As soon as you hit the first house on your way to the keep, you will be ambushed. Keep your Quen up at all times, and don't waste Vigor for anything else. Usually, there are two spectres spawning on the gate to your left and one spawning on your right. What I did was moon dust that one spectre, then whack it like there's no tomorrow, while dodging (NOT ROLLING! :D) it's attacks, as the other two take some time to catch up. By the time they do, that one spectre should be dead. You now have much more room to maneuver around. Remember your Quen, in fact, don't try to attack without it being up. Those two should be relatively easy to take care of. 

Moving on, in the courtyard, you will be ambushed again. By like 5 of them. This is the tricky and frustrating part. Keep ROLLING this time, and having your Quen up. Don't bother attacking when they are close to each other, it's suicide. Be careful of that wooden fence, Geralt gets stuck easily and it's game over.

As you keep rolling around in the courtyard, at some point, one of them is sure to get separated. This is your chance: Moon Dust and whack it. Did I mention you shouldn't do that if your Quen isn't up?

Rinse, repeat. 

I won't blame you for cheating. It's an annoyingly overtuned fight. Games are games, something to have fun with. Especially single player. As long as you're having fun, everything is fair game :)

I may have found a reason for my problems, may have!

Everyone's heard of the 'Disglair' right, an awesome sword that deals plenty of damage. Well obviously that is a sword for later on as the level reqs prohibit its use in the early game, but somehow I managed to come across a sword named 'Disglair' and I naturally assumed it was this sword and I could deal out some major damage. Apparently not. I've just checked again the sword I have is only lvl 1 and does just over 100 damage, nothing like I was imagining I was doing. I have no recollection of where it came from or if it is a bug in my game.

This has forced me to redo my game. I'm going back to the start and going to focus on the BEST weapons and armour I can use to try and stop this damn one-shot hell I'm getting.

One last thing. That werewolf quest with the love-triangle relationship. Watching runthroughs on YouTube show it regenerating at a very reasonable rate, something that I could handle but when I actually battle him I have a very different experience.

I can successfully get him down to almost 10% of his health and when I roll away to bring up "Quen" again his health just races back to full and now I can't even hit him! This doesn't seem right to me.

Anyone else seen this?

I may have found a reason for my problems, may have!

Everyone's heard of the 'Disglair' right, an awesome sword that deals plenty of damage. Well obviously that is a sword for later on as the level reqs prohibit its use in the early game, but somehow I managed to come across a sword named 'Disglair' and I naturally assumed it was this sword and I could deal out some major damage. Apparently not. I've just checked again the sword I have is only lvl 1 and does just over 100 damage, nothing like I was imagining I was doing. I have no recollection of where it came from or if it is a bug in my game.

This has forced me to redo my game. I'm going back to the start and going to focus on the BEST weapons and armour I can use to try and stop this damn one-shot hell I'm getting.

One last thing. That werewolf quest with the love-triangle relationship. Watching runthroughs on YouTube show it regenerating at a very reasonable rate, something that I could handle but when I actually battle him I have a very different experience.

I can successfully get him down to almost 10% of his health and when I roll away to bring up "Quen" again his health just races back to full and now I can't even hit him! This doesn't seem right to me.

Anyone else seen this?

Burn him with fire. :)

Also, bleeding and/or poison damage.