Returning to Skyrim, seeking advice on modding

SaA

Question

Hello Guys

its been ages since i played skyrim, but recently i've gotten the urge to dive head first back into it. Good bye social life. :D

When i first played i used little to no mods at all, just some simple things like Skyui and other minor but useful things. so im not to versed in skyrim modding really

i did however, mod the hell out of FoNV, but to me it felt like i spent more time just modding NV then i actually did playing the game. and i dont really want to go through that again >.>'

I want to come back into skyrim with a "new feel" to it, im sure you all reading this understand, and i dont want to go through the process of going through each mod 1 by 1 to get everything to work myself, hence why im here. Im just not sure where i want to start or what i really want to use.

S.T.E.P Core/Extended

SR:LE

T3nd0s Skyrim Redone

Skyrim Beautification Project

above is what im trying to decide up on, but since ive been out of skyrim for so long, im looking for any input on what to do, any comments or advice is welcomed.

I mainly just want a fresh, immersive, good looking, and most immportnatly fun experince. Though i do personally want to game to look the best i can get it appearance wise aswell, which is why atm im kinda leaning towards SR:LE and SBP. Skyrim Redone seems like it would be alot quicker to just add to the game and just run with that, while from what ive looked into S.T.E.P. should be the best performance option of my choices, and i could just spend some time searching nexus and skyrimgems to spice it up more using S.T.E.P. as a base.

I know personally a mod i want to use is Climates of Temrial which is about to get a new version, from what i saw on the nexus page, which is comming in a few days, and thats when i kinda want to start working on the configuring and modding to set up the game.

also my pc specs, since i honestly dont know how demanding each one of those setups is, (i havent decided if im going to use an ENB yet either)

GTX 770

12 GB Ram

i7 940  (yeah i know its old, but i have it over clocked to about 3.6GHz, and its never really failed me)

also my screen resolution , if it maters any, is 1680x1050  (16:10)

also i plan to mainly use MO, for adding the mods, if that makes much of a difference

Well then, any advice, suggestions, tips, dos donts, etc is all welcomed.

please and thank you :)

4 answers to this question

My advice, use either SR:LE or Step (with or without extended) and steer clear of adding in extras untill you have the feel of what is provided.

Since MO is the tool of choice you can at a later stage install a completely different profile with a different mod set, such as PerMa and see if that takes your fancy.

On that point, you must use MO OR another manager, not both, since they manage mods in completely different and conflicting ways.

If you want to focus on playing rather than modding too much, use STEP:Core. This will be vanilla Skyrim with fixes and a significant GFX update all around. For enhanced gameplay, use STEP:Extended, which is Core with some added stuff.

SR:LE is a great choice, too, but you will find yourself tweaking much more in following that build. It is a more complex build with more decisions and tweaks required. SR:LE is analogous to STEP:Extended:Extended, essentially.

All of these options are 'safe', comprehensive, well-guided builds.

Thanks for the responses :O

i decided to go with SR:LE

ive done it up to the point of Resource Mods

next up is the Fix mods and so on.

before i go through the rest of the mods, i want to ask. ive run into a few mods that i would like to have with SR:LE, some of them mods used in STEP.

when i finish with installing all of SR:LE could i use MO, to make a copy profile with the fully set up SR:LE , to test out the mods to see if they are compatible and such.

or would it be better to add the other mods during the installation of the SR:LE mods of the same category. for example when i get to the World Expansions

part of the guide where it has Falskaar and Wyrmstooth. should or could i add say Moonpath to Elsweyr along with them ? or should i wait until everything is fully set up ?

Thanks for the responses :O

i decided to go with SR:LE

ive done it up to the point of Resource Mods

next up is the Fix mods and so on.

before i go through the rest of the mods, i want to ask. ive run into a few mods that i would like to have with SR:LE, some of them mods used in STEP.

when i finish with installing all of SR:LE could i use MO, to make a copy profile with the fully set up SR:LE , to test out the mods to see if they are compatible and such.

or would it be better to add the other mods during the installation of the SR:LE mods of the same category. for example when i get to the World Expansions

part of the guide where it has Falskaar and Wyrmstooth. should or could i add say Moonpath to Elsweyr along with them ? or should i wait until everything is fully set up ?

Set up a clean install then start adding slowly one by one checking for conflicts.