Profile Sharing

TechAngel85

Question

As some of you may know, Nexus Mod Manager 0.60.+ is out into open beta. With the update, NMM now has profiles which work for all the games that NMM can handle (scroll down to the "Works on" section at the link posted. This is a great feature which we've all enjoyed for far longer with Mod Organizer. Nexus seems to be one-upping MO with the announcement of Profile Sharing which will be coming soon. My question here is directly towards Tannin, but for all to discuss...

Will MO be getting a similar feature to be able to share profiles?

Also, a note to all:

Don't be fooled by the "VirtualInstall" with the new NMM. It's not the same as MO and will still place files into your data folder for your games.

Well, for one thing I could re-introduce the file-list and download directly from inside MO. This would likely speed up updating mod considerably even when you still have to go through the installation routine manually.

Also while I have doubts with profile sharing everyone everyone I think we could do half-automated curated batch-installations.

Ie with the hash-based approach one could probably automate fomod installations just fine as long as someone ensures the referenced fomod is available and updates the batch-installer to keep up with updates.

This means you could fully automate download and installation and installation order and load order of all mods in step. There are still steps that would require manual interaction (as discussed above) but as long as we clearly state what the automation process can do and what it doesn't.

That would be a godsend to some users. Users have been asking for an automated STEP process/tool for as long as I can remember. We even had a few people working on a program that would do it; however, Dark0ne shut it down when he said he didn't want mods being automatically downloaded from their servers. If he's changed his tune, maybe the crowd will eventually get what they want.

I've noticed quite a few users comments, in various threads in Nexus, expressing a fear of the new 0.60 version breaking their system. Many other users are saying how glad they are that they switched to MO months ago and now are confident their games are safe, when managed by MO.

I'm just imagining the next steps. MO now looks to be easier to use than NMM and new users flock to it.

I could of course be completely wrong, known to happen every now and again.

It is a very good thing that an alternative exists.

It will be interesting to see what the sites traffic is like over the next while.

The current save file fix mod feature in MO is a very neat.

The only thing missing are the mods without a plugin.

To be able to generate a manifest, from a profile. Checksums on the mods contents. References to the original install package. That would be a very nice feature.

I am a pack rat when it comes to mod packages. Spool then away to a secondary storage for safe keeping.

I suppose you could repackage the installed mod and simplify the manifest.