Langleys Textures Workshop

frihyland

yeah and tes5edit cant tell me anything about textures. It can tell you which models are used, which can then be opened up in nifskope to see which textures are used. But theres no easy way of searching a texture and getting a list of models/meshes or locations in the game that use it. You can only go the other way: location --> mesh --> texture

As Aiyen said, the best way to determine where to find textures is looking at the folder structure. But even that can only give you so much information. It can tell you the textures are in solitude, yeah thats great, but where in solitude? Some texture names dont give very much information about where they are used. A lot of it comes from experience. The more you do this, the more efficient you will get. However, doing a texture pack like this one is going to be tedious for anyone. And finding all of the textures and getting a compare for each and every single texture is almost unrealistic (if you want it finished in a timely manner)

EDIT: It may help if you have photoshop/GIMP set up with nvidia tools/dds plugin so you can open the textures yourself and at least see what they look like beforehand. In fact, if I didnt have the ability to look at the textures outside of the game, it would make things a lot more challenging.

So Langley just released an update for this mod and one of the changes is that the mod has been separated into various packages according to content.  The first thing to consider is whether or not we want to proceed with the full mod such that we recommend all of the packages, or do we use this as an opportunity to omit certain parts that don't make the grade?  The other thing we'll need to do is determine which textures have actually been updated and which are still the same.

Also, it looks like he has moved some items into a separate mod altogether. Dwemer stuff has it's own mod and seems to have been expanded considerably. He also has Dragonborn stuff in another mod. Check his user profile for links to these.

The same upgrade issue happened back when he upgraded from 1.2 to 1.4 - lots of people needed the old 1.2 stuff for the texture pack combiner but he removed that version when he upgraded.  Leaving old files on the Nexus would have been useful.

yeah i personally use the dwemer metal package of his, which i have pieced together using ~half from 'rust n scratch' option and the ~half from the 'clean' option. I let that package overwrite anything in the Wood, Metal, Stone Workshop.  Also I was using his dragonborn landscape textures, but have taken a liking to the ash landscapes textures from Serious HD, so I let those overwrite Langley dragonborn (which only leaves a few of Langley textures still active).

It is all mostly good stuff in my opinion and he really knows what he's doing, meaning Im pretty sure he has some sort of formal training (either that or is a very talented and dedicated hobbyist, but i dont think thats the case). Irrelevant really, but.. 

• 2 weeks later...

i already asked pretty much the same thing about making new threads for each pack.. cant remember what the verdict was and too lazy to sift through the thread. IIRC were going to keep this as the main thread and just test the packs one at a time. Ive been very busy with end of the semester responsibilities, but when time permits, the next order of business for me will be knocking out the Solitude pack

Langleys Wood Metal and Stone Texture Workshop  Mod has been updated to 1.5 in Nexus (and old file removed ..... seems to be happening alot lately in nexus; ie removing old files) !

I am quite afraid to dabble with this mod, since it seems to have many conflicts with other mods. Is anyone able to advice which files are safe to install from the entire 1.5 packet ?

Funny thing is, Langely released a small update to the mod - 1.6, in fact, This just adds a retexture of the large Nordic tent (considering Langely is good with tents, I'd say that it's likely to be good), and several new textures + improved normals for Whiterun.

Anyway, I am working with Neovalen to evaluate the new update. I've at least got a head start on what to do compares on, and what to just ditch. This is using Neovalen's old recommendations for 1.4, WinMerge (to determine what changed between versions), and the GIMP (to do quick texture examinations).

I haven't done any in-game testing yet, but I can tell you right now that looking at the farmhouse thatchinterior01 texture (doesn't mesh well with AOF Farmhouses) or almost all of the wooden textures in Whiterun would not be worth it.