W3R: The Wild Hunt Revisited (Witcher 3)

Neovalen

OK. I don't have anything in my mods.settings file for either of those two mods, so that's why mine don't have any priority...but you did the wright thing in making sure Brutal Blood wins.

As for The Aard...yes. In the guide, it was given a Priority 4 in the mods.settings file, so it will and should definitely win any conflict over the Yrden mod.

Thanks! Do you know if Nitpicker Mod and the NPC Scabbards mod need to be merged in script merger? They have 4 XLM conflicts.

Thanks! Do you know if Nitpicker Mod and the NPC Scabbards mod need to be merged in script merger? They have 4 XLM conflicts.

The only XML conflicts I see with Nitpicker and Scabbards involve Ghost Mode...and Ghost Mode wins those conflicts because of its assigned priority in mods.settings file. Those conflicts show up under Bundled Text and I don't check any of those boxes for merging since Ghost Mode wins over the others.

Before choosing a line:

https://i.imgur.com/tV8re9a.gif

After choosing Line C:

https://i.imgur.com/gPrtkq5.gif

After choosing Line C...also choose Line B and the finished, non-conflicting merge will look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/1hb12u0.gif

Choosing Line C will add the one Unread Desciptions line. Once that line is added down below, right click the newly added line and select to add lines from B. Since three of the lines from B are already added to the Output window below, selecting B will just add the line that starts with var SortingMode...and that solves the conflict.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! I learnt something new today.  Works like a charm.  Tim to get some hours in now :)

any other mods you guys adding that I should take a look at prior to starting again?

The only XML conflicts I see with Nitpicker and Scabbards involve Ghost Mode...and Ghost Mode wins those conflicts because of its assigned priority in mods.settings file. Those conflicts show up under Bundled Text and I don't check any of those boxes for merging since Ghost Mode wins over the others.

The below screenshot shows what I am seeing. I am actually using the nitpickerfix mod. A user made it. It's supposed to be the same thing as the nitpickers patch but fixes some of the neck seam line glitches and other small stuff that the nitpicker mod doesn't get/causes.

https://imgur.com/a/dPytr

Here you go: https://i.imgur.com/IdNPlXK.jpg

Generally you don't want ANY conflicts in Mod Merger. To check for them, tick all the mods that you're planning on merging and then hit the "Conflicts" button at the top. Hopefully nothing shows up in the box on the right hand side of the screen. Nearly every time I've tried to merge mods that conflict it hasn't gone well, regardless of where I put them in Mod Merger's list. If you do have two mods that edit the same mesh or texture, you're best to put only one of them in your merge and then edit your mods.settings file to decide which one wins. For example, both "Lore-Friendly Silver Swords" and Rustine's mods edit several of the witcher swords, so I put LfSS in my merge but have modArmorModsRustine set as higher priority than [mod0000_MergedPack] so that Rustine's stuff wins. Once you have completed your merge and have edited your mods.settings file, use Script Merger to ensure that the proper mods are winning conflicts.

One more tip: official DLC counts towards the mod limit too. Brutal Blood was throwing me over the mod limit (it has two DLC bundles in addition to it's Mods bundle, and I have no idea how to merge DLC bundles), so I uninstalled the Skellige Armor Set (I'm not a fan) by unclicking it in Steam. As soon as I did that I was good to go.

Hope this helps!

I should have pointed out that adding mods to your texture merge above and beyond what is recommended in the guide definitely has the potential to screw up Neovalen's intended conflict resolution. Conflicts for mods that Neovalen did not explicitly assign a priority to in the mods.settings file will simply be resolved alphabetically assuming that neither of the mods in question are in your texture merge. This is why if you follow the guide to the letter, Brutal Blood should win the conflicts with Improved Particle Systems ("B" comes before "I" alphabetically). However, if you throw Improved Particle Systems into your texture merge, its files will now be used by the game instead of Brutal Blood's because your Merged Pack is set to Priority=2 by mods.settings and will be loaded first.

You can work around this, but it takes some thought and an understanding of which mods Neovalen intends to win when there are conflicts. In the example above, we would be better off putting Brutal Blood in our texture merge because that's the mod that needs to win. If you can't put a specific mod in your merge but need it to win conflicts with a mod that IS in your merge, you can edit your mods.settings file to set the mod that needs to win as higher priority (for example, add that mod as Priority=2 and change your Merged Pack to Priority=3). This situation is why Neovalen has ModGeraltChestHair set as Priority=1 in mods.settings.

Tl;dr: If you add additional mods to your Mod Merger texture merge beyond what Neovalen recommends in the guide, you need to use Script Merger afterwards to ensure that the proper files are winning any conflicts. Generally, when two mods conflict you will want to put the mod that would be listed first alphabetically in your texture merge. And if you're not hitting the mod limit, please just follow the guide to the letter...

Edited by EthanII

I should have pointed out that adding mods to your texture merge above and beyond what is recommended in the guide definitely has the potential to screw up Neovalen's intended conflict resolution. Conflicts for mods that Neovalen did not explicitly assign a priority to in the mods.settings file will simply be resolved alphabetically assuming that neither of the mods in question are in your texture merge. This is why if you follow the guide to the letter, Brutal Blood should win the conflicts with Improved Particle Systems ("B" comes before "I" alphabetically). However, if you throw Improved Particle Systems into your texture merge, its files will now be used by the game instead of Brutal Blood's because your Merged Pack is set to Priority=2 by mods.settings and will be loaded first.

You can work around this, but it takes some thought and an understanding of which mods Neovalen intends to win when there are conflicts. In the example above, we would be better off putting Brutal Blood in our texture merge because that's the mod that needs to win. If you can't put a specific mod in your merge but need it to win conflicts with a mod that IS in your merge, you can edit your mods.settings file to set the mod that needs to win as higher priority (for example, add that mod as Priority=2 and change your Merged Pack to Priority=3). This situation is why Neovalen has ModGeraltChestHair set as Priority=1 in mods.settings.

Tl;dr: If you add additional mods to your Mod Merger texture merge beyond what Neovalen recommends in the guide, you need to use Script Merger afterwards to ensure that the proper files are winning any conflicts. Generally, when two mods conflict you will want to put the mod that would be listed first alphabetically in your texture merge. And if you're not hitting the mod limit, please just follow the guide to the letter...

If that is the case, should Nitpickers have priority over the NPC Scabbards mod? I would think Scabbards should have priority, right?

I just realized that the above 4 XML conflicts in Script Merger between Nitpickers and NPCScabbards is showing up in the "Bundled Text" section. Does it matter which mod has priority for Bundled Text? Should I merge them? Any help is appreciated. This is the final question that I have. I am really close to having everything perfect.

Edited by DoYouEvenModBro

I just realized that the above 4 XML conflicts in Script Merger between Nitpickers and NPCScabbards is showing up in the "Bundled Text" section. Does it matter which mod has priority for Bundled Text? Should I merge them? Any help is appreciated. This is the final question that I have. I am really close to having everything perfect.

Have you tried merging those 4 XML files? If not, I would try that and see if they auto merge with no conflicts. That's the first step. Otherwise, try to solve the conflicts manually. If that ends up being too complex, then assign one of the mods a priority higher than the other. I personally would choose Scabbards over Nitpickers to have priority. For some reason I don't have those conflicts between those two mods, but I'm using the NitpickerNoArmorFix. My only conflicts are with Ghost Mode, and it gets priority over both Scabbards and Nitpicker.

Have you tried merging those 4 XML files? If not, I would try that and see if they auto merge with no conflicts. That's the first step. Otherwise, try to solve the conflicts manually. If that ends up being too complex, then assign one of the mods a priority higher than the other. I personally would choose Scabbards over Nitpickers to have priority. For some reason I don't have those conflicts between those two mods, but I'm using the NitpickerNoArmorFix. My only conflicts are with Ghost Mode, and it gets priority over both Scabbards and Nitpicker.

I haven't tried merging them but I can try later when I get home. I checked around and apparently people get Script Merger errors when they try to merge XML conflicts. I've been just letting scabbards have priority. Do you think that's good enough? I also see an XML conflict between nitpickers and the LoD mod that Neovalen used to have in his guide (i think it was an old version of increased draw distance). Should I give the LoD mod priority in that csse?

I haven't tried merging them but I can try later when I get home. I checked around and apparently people get Script Merger errors when they try to merge XML conflicts. I've been just letting scabbards have priority. Do you think that's good enough? I also see an XML conflict between nitpickers and the LoD mod that Neovalen used to have in his guide (i think it was an old version of increased draw distance). Should I give the LoD mod priority in that csse?

I wouldn't merge anything under Bundled Text.

For all of us using Ghost Mode, it gets (and needs) priority over both Scabbards and Nitpicker so I've never really looked at the specific conflicts between those latter two mods. However, I suspect that you'll want to give Scabbards priority. Ditto for the LoD mod. Nitpicker's is just bug fixes on vanilla assets, and I think giving it priority over those other two mods runs the risk of it resetting the changes those mods make. The easiest way to set Nitpicker's as lowest priority is to go into your Mods folder and rename it to "modZNitpickerFix".

I wouldn't merge anything under Bundled Text.

For all of us using Ghost Mode, it gets (and needs) priority over both Scabbards and Nitpicker so I've never really looked at the specific conflicts between those latter two mods. However, I suspect that you'll want to give Scabbards priority. Ditto for the LoD mod. Nitpicker's is just bug fixes on vanilla assets, and I think giving it priority over those other two mods runs the risk of it resetting the changes those mods make. The easiest way to set Nitpicker's as lowest priority is to go into your Mods folder and rename it to "modZNitpickerFix".

I can confirm that merging the XML files with Script Merger does NOT work. It can't solve the conflicts so I will keep Scabbards as priority. Also I was wrong about the LoD mod XML conflict. They were texture conflicts only. The only XML conflicts were with Nitpickers and Scabbards but as I said, you can't merge them. Edited by DoYouEvenModBro

Neovalen used to have the old version of Increased Draw Distance mod in his guide. That mod author has a new version but it looks like it can cause some issues. Does anyone know if I can achieve the same or similar results by using the below 2 user.settings tweaks? They are from Rootsrat's old Witcher 3 guide:

MeshRenderingDistanceScale=4

MeshLODDistanceScale=8

For whatever reason, the meditation for preparations doesn't work anymore.  I tried remapping the hotkey, but no success (mapped it, but doesn't start meditation).  What and how can I reset so the mod works without messing up my save file?