Who do i believe S.T.E.P, Loot or MO?

kingkonglouie20

Question

I am having trouble with the latest S.T.E.P 2.2.9 with the order they suggest. So I follow the step in order and have no problems until I get to aMidianBorn Book Of Silence. In the detailed instruction it states:

6. Place this mod directly under the aMidianBorn Book of Silence mod/s in the left pane of Mod Organizer (Priority Column).

This is talking about the aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp.

Even though the S.T.E.P Guide shows it as a all in one , in the order on the left. Don't think that's my problem though. Its when I run LooT and in its Meta tags for Complete Crafting Overhaul it saying it must be loaded after aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp. It is not something I can delete. So after im done with LooT I then get the warning the I have a potential load problem in my left pane window. I have let it move everything with out any noticed problems. Its just bothering me that maybe im missing something I don't see or that S.T.E.P doesn't mind MO fixing their order. Which I don't think is the case because they want you to follow the steps.

11 answers to this question

If you are strictly following STEP, you need to ignore the PMOP messages and do NOT hit that fix button. STEP is installed in a specific order to allow specific overwrites to take place. Hitting that fix button will cause some issues in STEP. The PMOP message is a good feature for most modders. It makes sure that certain mods are in the same order that the plugins are in. You don't have to worry about this with STEP as we check these out personally for issues for the users. So keep the mods in the order that that are in the Guide.

If you install mods on top of STEP. You'll have to check any PMOP message out personally that related to those extra mods to make sure there aren't any issues.

Thanks for the reply. This is the first time I followed this guide any really like the final result. I'm just one of the people that don't like to see warning signs. Is there a way to turn off the warning or maybe delete the tag from Loot that make it change in load order. In Loot it shows the trash can but it doesn't work when you select it. Also maybe you could include the ignore the warning from MO in the S.T.E.P guide. Thanks for all the work you guys do and thanks for your time

STEP, Loot and the MO warning you get don't actually disagree.
LooT orders plugins (right pane) MO wants you to order mods (left pane) in the same order as plugins. It clearly states that those changes may not be necessary but should be safer.

The step order is different from what MO considers "safe" but it has been manually tested so it should be ok.

However, any mod not included in STEP may actually cause a problem if you don't follow MOs suggestion. Therefore everyone who suggests you disable the warning or even the plugin is not your friend.
Some people claim there is a bug in MOs warning preventing step from adhering to the "safe" order but no one has bothered to create a formal report on that issue.

My suggestion: If you intend to install any mods beyond step then use step only as a starting point, use MOs suggested ordering and disregard STEP instructions on the matter. Everything you find in the STEP guide should only be considered safe if you install only STEP.

If you are strictly following STEP, you need to ignore the PMOP messages and do NOT hit that fix button. STEP is installed in a specific order to allow specific overwrites to take place. Hitting that fix button will cause some issues in STEP. The PMOP message is a good feature for most modders. It makes sure that certain mods are in the same order that the plugins are in. You don't have to worry about this with STEP as we check these out personally for issues for the users. So keep the mods in the order that that are in the Guide.

If you install mods on top of STEP. You'll have to check any PMOP message out personally that related to those extra mods to make sure there aren't any issues.

Wow Tech. After all the hundreds of hours I've been modding, I'm shocked thats the first I've heard of this, as far as ignoring for STEP. I'll admit I didn't delve deep into the Mod Organizer forums, I did read a bit when researching what to use either 1.2.18 or 1.3.8. I think this should be added to the Mod Organizer Guide though, the main one thats linked all over the STEP Wiki. At least letting people know to ignore the PMOP messages. What Tannin said above is VERY informative, esspecially for noobs! :D This may be why I've never been able to get a completely stable game! If I were to re-order my load order based on the list I'd be fine right without having to re-install or re-patch? I've got Step:Extended w/no ELE patch BASHED PATCH, FNIS, DSR then DYNDOLOD, then DYNDOLOD OUTPUT at the end of my load order, with some billboards inbetween.  Putting the REGS pack on top of this may be worth it now. So glad I seen this thread! Thank you STEP!

Hey Tannin, little off topic but since your here...I've been seeing allot of people say they use 1.2.18 instead of 1.3.8. (all over reddit, youtube coments ect.) I've been using 1.3.8 since it came out and I havent had any major issues besides some UI glitches with downloads, other than that I'm not seeing what these people are complaining about. Does using 1.2.18 add to stability? Thats my only concern, specifically with anything going past Step extended? (packs ect.)

PS: SUMMERSET ISLES JUST CAME OUT! NEW HUGE DLC!! EVEN HAS BILLBOARDS ON TESGENLOD!!!    >.<   couldn't help it xD

Edited by brokenpaine

Does using 1.2.18 add to stability?

Not to my knowledge.

1.3.8 doesn't work on Windows XP and Vista and there are one or two oddities in the UI, probably caused by the upgrade of the UI framework but apart from I'm not aware of any drawbacks of using 1.3.8.

Not to my knowledge.

1.3.8 doesn't work on Windows XP and Vista and there are one or two oddities in the UI, probably caused by the upgrade of the UI framework but apart from I'm not aware of any drawbacks of using 1.3.8.

Actually, now that it's mentioned, may I suggest a change to the descriptions in the downloads page to reflect this?

Version 1.2.18 is listed first and many, less observant users, have installed this thinking it is the latest. I know, they should look at the version numbers, but you know, they don't! :O_o:

So, if it was stated in that download's description it is a legacy install for XP users and that 1.3.x is the latest.

Yes, I agree. I was one of them. Just didn't notice. Dang Nexus. lol I quickly realised it though and got 1.3.8. Hate to repeat myself, but can I get some feedback about the PMOP message issue I mentioned above. I just found a sticky about it though so eh I'll figure it out. Time to get off here though...but wait!

Straight up on the nexus site earlier I had my scripts (mozzilla) alowed globally, just temporary for youtube, but I happened to have a nexus tab up, maybe 15 minutes. Those dam ads...straight up got highjacked with a full blown XSS attack. Had over 90 trackers running script all over my *expletive*. DEF-initely going to add nexus to the blacklist, I dont care if its a few extra clicks to download. Everyone should have NoScript browser add-on, its free and will save your butt. If this had happened on my laptop, OMG the amount of info that would have gotten stolen. But im pretty sure they got all my forum usename and passes since it was on my desktop. Just a warning people. (sry to go off topic)