GrantSP's new build project

GrantSP

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next big change I've decided on is the SSDs. The Asus Z97-A offers a M.2 PCI-e connector that provides 10Gb/s so I'm going to go for a SSD to fit that.

Plextor has a drive that fits that's $349 for a 256Gb, a bit expensive but may be a good choice.

Not worth it imo, SO NOT WORTH IT. You're probably not going to notice much of a speed difference. Or if you do you'd only notice a little bit (and only if you already have an SSD) but it's so not worth adding $200 to the price imo. Going from HDD's to SSD is night and day as it is. Remember you said you need to be money conscious.

I have a few more options that might be of interest. I have the hard drives all in there so you'll probably want to remove one or something (I'd take the 2TB drive off personally).

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/phazer11/saved/#view=C3nhP6

Also I wouldn't go any lower than 16GB of RAM trust me that extra 8GB helps a ton, heck even 12GB would be good. Depending on how hot it gets there you may want to consider an aftermarket cooler. IDK how much the CoolerMaster 212 EVO is in AU but it's one of the less fiddly ones to get on and cools well. Just something to consider once you crunch all the numbers and see what you have.

I'll look at the CPU cooler, its about $45 so I can afford that.

@Greg

You smoothy, always keep the wife on side. Anyway, she already had her gift, a cruise to South Pacific a few months ago, so I figure I'm good for a few more goodies for me.

I've updated the build and will examine the peripherals next. I had the Logitech stuff, @Phazer has the cheaper CM bundle, I would like a nice mechanical keyboard.

I'm hoping I can get all this done to allow me a few months Witcher III time before Fallout 4 hits the stores.

I wouldn't have a desktop in 40 degree plus Aussie summers without an aftermarket CPU cooler. They can be a bit fiddly, but as per phaser11 the CoolerMaster ones work well. You'll find that the Mobo will have a dedicated fan header for a CPU cooler fan, so no issue there.

I can also recommend Noctua brand coolers. 

Mechanical keyboard wise, I have a CoolerMaster CMStorm Trigger and it's been bulletproof. I can recommend CoolerMaster gear on general principles.

Edited by Nozzer66

I went with the DAS Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches and red o-rings to reduce the range. Of course, the softer/quieter switch is my personal preference since my aging hands don't quite have the strength needed for the "piledriver" switches and I want to keep the noise to a minimum.