GrantSP's new build project

GrantSP

BTW - I have a GTX 770 and for that reason (graphics card requirements) mainly (nothing else in my computer really requires so much juice as that) I got a 750W PS.  It's an Antec TRUEPOWER NEW.  But I also factor in other components that require power too, because it's not just the graphics card.  This is why I recommend using one of the many online calculators that help you figure out potential PS requirements.

EDIT: You also have to know the types of power ports that your graphics card will require and make sure that your prospective PS can provide it for the card.  These days graphics cards are so powerful they need dedicated power cords that go straight to the PS, rather than getting their power from the motherboard.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, the wife is almost convinced that this is a necessity so I'm probably going to be able to scrounge 2 grand.

Not that it matters to anyone but I'm on a disability pension so money is sort of tight and any 'extras' needs to come from the wife's side jobs. Since being on the web and playing games is pretty much all I can do, she seems fairly keen to help with that.

So, I'm opting for a beefy PSU and probably going for a 980 as the GPU. Maybe down the track I can get another and SLI them.

Most of the PSUs I'm looking at now are the modular sort so I think that should cover any issues with how it is delivered to the parts.

Well if you have a little bit more to spend you'll definitely want to spend it on a more energy efficient and rated PSU. The one I linked in my build is a good psu you'll probably want a slightly higher one for the 980 especially if you plan on SLi down the road. I was basing the BenQ monitor on your price range and a few reviews that said for the price it was a decent monitor (Linus Tech Tips has one you can look up easy) but you may want one with a little more umph. I'll see what I can do in between storms and try to keep the price down.

Switched to the red team and I'm now looking at the R9 390 8Gb. Seems like newer games might not utilise more cores but greater VRAM is always a good thing.

The PSU is now an EVGA 850W 80+ Gold to handle the current and possible future components.

I'll say this seagate's are crap these days often dont last even 2 years. Not sure that case has enough space to fit that gpu. PSU is a great choice I'd have to check to see how much juice you'd need for a crossfire of those cards.

Didn't pick a case, optical drive or really decide on the monitor several of the ones I'd choose don't seem to be carried in AU. The PSU I listed in this one is solid, and higher efficiency, as well as a higher wattage it's only semi modular. If you don't like that go with that EVGA. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/nkqzrH

Pretty sure my PSU is a EVGA. It's been rock solid. I use an ASUS IPS panel monitor. Great colors, great viewing angles.

I also have an ASUS IPS, it was like $100 on sale on Newegg a year ago or so.  Changed everything, such a great image.  I run at 1920x1080 and I'm very happy with my image quality.

Wow! This thing is moving along nicely. Thanks guys.

@Phazer11 I went with your PSU and HDD choices, looks good with those. @TechAngel & @Genius384 I decided to look at ASUS monitors and have chosen the Asus VX239H 23.0", I like the thin bezel design, though I can't find one around the US$100 mark.

If I could get some input on the SSD setup. I'd like a dedicated SSD for the OS and another for games/gaming tools and then use the HDD for storage. So some questions:

1. Is 120Gb sufficient for the OS?
  2. Is 250Gb sufficient for the games?

Not sure about the case size either yet, I've just got that one there as the best choice option, but will investigate fitting the parts in once the parts are fixed as bought. Same with my keyboard/mouse choices. I can safely live with crappy generic inputs if I can save, but I'd prefer something a bit better than all my past choices.

I think this depends on what else you plan to install other than Windows and games. The Windows folder on my computer currently takes about 60 GB and you'll need to accommodate room for your user profile folder (that Windows makes extremely frigging difficult to move). Even assuming you have nothing other than Windows on the C: drive, everything and it's second cousin insists on storing files in your user profile folder. Even so, you can probably get by with 120GB for Windows if you're diligent in installing games and applications on another drive. You'll want to keep a decent amount of free space available on SSDs as well so it can optimize writes (e.g. so it's not forced to write the same cells over and over).

You might also consider moving the Temp folder to spinning rust to move some of the junk from the boot drive. You can do this fairly easily by creating a Temp folder on another drive and then changing the global Temp and Tmp environment variables (Control Panel / System / Advanced system settings / Environment Variables). It's amazing how much cruft is left behind in the Temp folder and very few applications delete their own temp files.

You could move the search index (assuming you use it to index a lot of files) to the larger SSD to move some additional space off the boot drive, but I'm still coming back around to the notion that 120GB seems rather small for Windows. On the other hand, take this with a grain of salt because I'm a data pack rat. I have a 512GB SSD and two 3GB spinning rust drives (both about half full although the second one is mostly SQL Server databases) and keep full/incremental/differential backups and a ton of MSDN Subscription software on a 16TB Synology NAS.

Don't forget to check case fans. Make sure you have enough of them. Most cases these days provide at least one on the rear for air exit and one of the front for air intake. But occasionally you'll find another intake fan might come in handy, on top of the case like I have.

I have two 120mm fans. One on the front as an intake and one on the back for exhaust. I then mounted my PSU (btw, get a case with a bottom mounted PSU) in an exhaust position to create a bit of negative pressure in the case (which cools better due to better airflow). Thing is I rarely ever hear my PC. With my ASUS board and the included AI Suite 3 software, I have a really good solution for fan control and even stable overclocking of the entire system, right from my desktop.

Good to know, thanks. So as I assumed with the SSDs.

I'll look around for some SSDs, Samsung EVO 850 look to be fairly good.

I've placed all the components on a spreadsheet with links to the manufacturer's specs pages if anyone wants to read up on them. I can source some of the parts cheaper than what PcPartPicker shows so I can get a bit more mileage from my money.

I'll probably get a whole heap of fans anyway, the SPEC - 01 can take 5 x 120mm (one included) with the PSU bottom mounted.

Don't forget to make sure your case can fit your graphics card. This is VERY IMPORTANT as most mid towers won't be able to fit the big cards. I use a 240GB SSD for OS, and games but then again I got my two 240GB SSD's (one for my laptop and one for my desktop) for a song in 2013 ($340 for both) Now I could get 2 500GB for ~$500. If you can find the 3TB version of the HDD I linked you for decent price I highly recommend it. After doing my own research and asking some questions on some overclocking and pc part forums those 3TB drives are the most reliable and inexpensive drives around (info might be a little dated this was around the beginning of the year before the new WD RED drives released). I bought 2 for $200.