NARC - No Animals Report Crimes (by Pharros)

EssArrBee

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Nexus user aristotle99, Lock Overhaul includes improvements to crime detection so that animals and undead will not report crimes, possibly making NARC not necessary, and maybe even conflicting?

Edited by TorNyan

There's no direct conflicts. It does look like Lock Overhaul is doing something in the scripts dealing with crime, but I would have to decompile the scripts to be able to see what it's doing. NARC does this by editing the factions.

Cool.

The source for Lock Overhaul's scripts are available here: Lock Overhaul files.

Edited by TorNyan

Okay...

The script from Lock Overhaul appears to be using a formlist to determine if a crime is being committed. This formlist contains specific factions for the various holds (no animal or creature factions). Within these factions are listed members of those faction which are various NPCs. Therefore, if I'm reading the script correctly, it is only determining if the player is committing a crime against the NPCs listed within the factions in the formlist. Meaning animals should not report the crimes.

NARC specifically edits the individual factions themselves to tell those factions to ignore crimes. These are only the animal and creature factions. No NPC factions are touched.

I can not be certain if animals and creatures would still report crimes or not with just Lock Overhaul installed. It certainly appears that the script from Lock Overhaul will only trigger crimes if one of the specified NPCs are within the crime distance. An in-game test is needed to determine what the outcome is to be 100% certain, but the mod page for Lock Overhaul says crimes will not longer be reported by animals and creatures.

Unfortunately, after an hour and testing and trying. I wasn't able to set up a good, repeatable test to determine if Lock Overhaul's script is working as advertised. It see no reason why it wouldn't be though. This means that NARC is likely redundant.

• 1 year later...

Users will have to generate their own, or it is un-needed? I've been away for a long while, so I'm not sure what's going on with STEP 3.

Users can roll their own, but we'll no longer be providing one. This is mainly due to maintenance. I'm, currently, doing ALL the Guide work. Alone with no help. This is fine in the short term, but it means reducing maintenance wherever I can. Eliminating the Compilation files eliminates a chuck of maintenance. This also has the effect of making the Guides more modular and compatible again, since users don't have to hack away at the compilation file to get the results they desire.

I've made a few changes in this regard; making maintenance easier and making the Guides more compatible.

Outstanding plan. While I appreciate the work that went into them, if it makes things easier on you AND more modular for the users, I don't really see a down side.

I think there are a couple of downsides (else why was the STEP Compilation even included in the first place).

The STEP Patch, as I understand it, is a manually created patch which was needed to allow the STEP mods to work together. So without that patch there will be more mod conflicts. Wrye Bash does not resolve all conflicts, and does not always resolve conflicts correctly, so manual patching was needed for some STEP mods.

The STEP Compilation is a large collection of little mods which all make nice little improvements to the game. So all those improvements will be lost too.

For the mods without .esp files, just textures for example, then there is probably not much maintenance needed for those mods.

Edited by kabepo

I think there are a couple of downsides (else why was the STEP Compilation even included in the first place).

The STEP Patch, as I understand it, is a manually created patch which was needed to allow the STEP mods to work together. So without that patch there will be more mod conflicts. Wrye Bash does not resolve all conflicts, and does not always resolve conflicts correctly, so manual patching was needed for some STEP mods.

The STEP Compilation is a large collection of little mods which all make nice little improvements to the game. So all those improvements will be lost too.

For the mods without .esp files, just textures for example, then there is probably not much maintenance needed for those mods.

I didn't say those mods and patches were being dropped. Just the compilation. The mods, that are still available for download, have been put back into the main Guide. The patches have been simplified, but are still available as well.