Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin (by Preeum)

TechAngel85

This was something that wasnt really geared toward your question but the purpose is to change some of the landscape textures to nograss variants so that grass doesnt spawn, this is a vanilla feature but they definitely missed some spots.

Me personally it causes a larger headache than its worth.

I see. Thank you!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I ment

unit userscript;

uses mteFunctions;

function Initialize: integer;
var
	i: int;
	f,e: IInterface;
begin
	f:=FileSelect('Select a file to remove LAND from:',false);
	for i:=0 to Pred(RecordCount(f)) do begin
		e:=RecordByIndex(f,i);
		if Signature(e) <> 'LAND' then continue;
		try 
			RemoveNode(e)
		except on x: exception do begin
			AddMessage('Something went wrong, I dont really know what... but take this');
			AddMessage(x.Message);
		end;
		end;
	end;
	AddMessage('If you so desire, you may want to clean the ITMs after the application is restarted.');
end;
end.

Of course this wont run unless you edit mteFunctions

line: 1786

function FileSelect(prompt: string; newfile: boolean): IInterface;

line: 1821

if newfile then cbFiles.Items.Add('-- CREATE NEW FILE --');

EDIT: yes I know, use two spaces for tab but I dont really care :/

Grass clipping has been an issue since the game released. Would be easy to fix in the CK, but would be compatibility hell because of the world edits. Basically just repaint the ground where it's clipping with a different texture. Ground underneath static objects and structures should not use a grass type texture.

Grass clipping has been an issue since the game released. Would be easy to fix in the CK, but would be compatibility hell because of the world edits. Basically just repaint the ground where it's clipping with a different texture. Ground underneath static objects and structures should not use a grass type texture.

Exactly, I had so many ideas but the engine is really strict on the number of paint that can be used in one quad. 

The clipping doesnt bother me but land tears and mismatched ground textures do.

I was planning to make a mod that removed the road mesh and use the landscape but I would have to redo so many areas so that it stays under the 5 tex limit.

Guys have you looked at Logical Grass on Nexus? I only saw it and commented because the guy asked for some permissions a few months ago. It needs a test or something.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The changelog mentions cleaning up some camps. Personally, it's not this mod's fault. As I've just finished playing through the main quest again, I can say without a doubt there are a ton of places where the painted landscape is either badly blended or just plain incorrect. It's a vanilla issue which mods, like Verdant, that really bump up the grass texture per tile have to contend with. The author has edited quite a bit of landscape in the current version to help deal with really bad areas, but I'm sure there is much more that could be done. Doing so would be a simply massive project all on its own. This issue isn't really visible in vanilla that much, but becomes more of apparent with SFO that doubles the texture-per-tile count. Now toss on a mod like Verdant that doubles that count again and the issue is staring you in the face.

It's nothing that I'm not expecting after seeing all the issues with SFO installed.

Grass is generated by the landscape texture which has a list of potential grasses. Sometimes there are variants that are no supposed to generate grass in vanilla, like the "NoGrass" ones.

Some grass mods add grasses to those landscape textures which can cause this issue.

However, not all areas are painted with the ideal variant for various reasons. One of the reasons may be the strict limitation of different landscape textures per quad per cell which I think is 4 + default. Another reason is that a mod adds or moves things around which can give some slight oddities which is what you've observed.

There are a few grass clipping fixes around but this usually in various landscape issues ranging anywhere from rough landscape transitions to landscape tears.

With the latest version of verdant, he includes a version of the fix but since it typically loads late in the LO, landscape tears are abound and quite common.

I disagree with the inclusion of the grass fix because of the reason. I did however develop a simple script to remove all the land edits, leaving the new hand placed grasses alone. The script needs work as it was never meant to be publicly released.

However the grass clipper fix is nice when its loaded early, as if its an ESM.

EDIT: I do not think this is a good inclusion for step as I believe it adds too many grasses to the tundra and some locations look odd, even for SRLE.