Skyrim Fails to Launch via MO or Steam Launcher

twin_suns89

Question

Hi,

I've been searching around on this forum for hours and I found similar issues to mine but nothing that sounds exactly the same. at this point I'm suffering from information overload. If I've missed something forgive me. 

Whenever I attempt to launch Skyrim through MO (via the SKSE executable) I get the little window that says "MO is locked while the executable is running" and I get a black box to pop up as if it is going to launch. Then my screen flashes for a moment and then...nothing. It just doesn't launch. No error messages, no potential problem alerts, nothing.

I should add that I've been building a mod list for a week or two and regularly launch the game after every new mod added through the above process with no issues. To be clear, this issue has not existed until two nights ago. 

I thought it might have been a mod that I had installed causing the problem, so I disabled all the recently added ones...still won't launch. Then, I disabled everything on my Mod list except except DLC and SKSE...still won't launch. 
Then I thought it must be an SKSE issue, so I disabled the SKSE Scripts through MO and tried to launch without the SKSE executable...still won't launch. 

Yesterday, I reported the issue on Bug Genie and got the reply that it must be a missing master or a required BSA that had not been enabled, and the report was dismissed. I went over and over my mod list, plugins, and archives and I can't find anything missing. Usually, MO alerts me if a master or something else is missing (that's part of what I love about MO) but again, I'm not getting any kind of alerts. And I thought how could that be the problem anyway if everything is disabled except the main files and the official DLC

Today, I attempted to bypass MO altogether and launch Skyrim through Steam to see if I could but...same issue. Flash on screen and then nothing. 

I'm not super tech savvy and I'm sure it's something I've done incorrectly, but I just can't figure it out. I say again, it has been working perfectly until two nights ago. 

I should note that I installed Skyrim years ago and I had no idea that S.T.E.P. even existed so my Steam and Skyrim are located in program files x86. I have since tried to move them but run into an entirely separate issue with Windows that prevents me from moving anything. I have set everything to "full control" and done everything in administrator mode and still no dice. 

I don't know if it helps, but I do use Realvision ENB, ENB boost, RCRN, SSME, and PerMa. I thought these might be the issue also but I've downloaded all the relevant patches I can find and these were all working correctly before this launch issue began.

I have no idea where to begin so I didn't attach any files. Please tell me what information you need and I'll provide it.  

Edited by twin_suns89

6 answers to this question

If Steam is saying you need to acquire a new file on each verification then I would look at your install for an issue. There really shouldn't be any reason why files are being changed/removed. The only time a file should be different is after you have cleaned them with xEdit.

I note this part of you OP:

... I installed Skyrim years ago and I had no idea that S.T.E.P. even existed so my Steam and Skyrim are located in program files x86. I have since tried to move them but run into an entirely separate issue with Windows that prevents me from moving anything. I have set everything to "full control" and done everything in administrator mode and still no dice. 

It may be that this is the cause of your issues, if your Windows registry is looking for an earlier install of Skyrim.

You are going to have to go back to a basic setup and check your system from there.

What happens when you remove all additions to your Skyrim install, ENB, SKSE, etc. and start the game from its launcher?

If you can successfully start the game from the vanilla launcher start adding in these extras one at a time and try to start the game each time.

If you cannot start the game from its launcher with just the vanilla game, then your install is broken and will need to be purged and re-installed.

SSME is no longer needed as long as you have SKSE. Sheson's memory patch is built in. You just have to set up the skse.ini file.

Did you try the argument "-forcesteamloader"? Add it to the arguments section for SKSE executable in MO (without the quotes).

Yes, I have added that argument but sadly it did not change anything.

My skse.ini reads:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256 

Did I do that correctly?

Sorry for the delay, I had to go to work. 

Okay, So I verified the local cache and it reacquired 4 files. But, sadly this did not solve the issue either.

I don't know if it means anything but I tried the verification two more times and each time it said 1 file would be reacquired. I'm not sure if that happens normally or if maybe that file is the culprit. 

You are going to have to go back to a basic setup and check your system from there.

What happens when you remove all additions to your Skyrim install, ENB, SKSE, etc. and start the game from its launcher?

If you can successfully start the game from the vanilla launcher start adding in these extras one at a time and try to start the game each time.

Thank you! This is what I feared I would have to do from the beginning.

I was still unable to move Skyrim out of x86 :( Figuring out how to do that is my next project I suppose.

However, I went back to a Vanilla setup using a backup archive and, thank the Maker, I was able to launch! I added SKSE, ENB, and RCRN (my suspected trouble makers) one at a time as you suggested and....they are all working!

Of course, because I went back and added everything from scratch I have no clue what the exact problem is. So, if anyone else in the future reads this thread I have no idea  what the actual cause of the issue was but starting over from scratch did solve the issue. 

Again, thank you very much for all the suggestions given.

Edited by twin_suns89