Game Freezes During Combat

KageYuuki

Question

I've been using several STEP recommended mods for awhile and have only recently started converting my game over to something that follows STEP moer closely. So I am - and likely always will be- a partial STEP user.

I've been dealing with this issue for a while now, but it definitely makes streaming Skyrim a bigger hassle than it should be. Nearly every time I'm in combat, the game will just freeze. The music will continue playing, but that's it. All three of my characters share this issue, so it doesn't seem to be related to a specific type of combat. (ie Magic, melee, bows) Followers also don't make a difference in the freezes either. I'm running out of ideas, so any thoughts would be appreciated!

Load Order

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization.esm
Falskaar.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
EFFCore.esm
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
AemersRefuge.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
SkyUI.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
Ket_3DLoadscreens.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
DiamondWeaponsN.esp
faster vanilla horses.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
unreadbooksglow.esp
Weapons & Armor_FasterArrows.esp
ShoutCD.esp
Skill Config.esp
Uncapped Perks - Combat + Stealth.esp
Uncapped Perks - Magic.esp
ETaC - Falkreath.esp
3DNPC.esp
ETaC - Morthal.esp
KJ Tattoos 4K.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
WATER.esp
WATER Falskaar.esp
Stronger Daedric Artifacts.esp
UIExtensions.esp
BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
moveitLWT.esp
LFox Pickpocketing Chance Caps at 100.esp
Headtracking.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
FSS-Slight pause between lines.esp
ViewableFactionRanksBothDLC.esp
Paralyze.esp
IHSS.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueOrcishWeapons.esp
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
ETaC - Dawnstar.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
ETaC - Winterhold.esp
ETaC - Rorikstead.esp
ETaC - Riverwood.esp
RelicsofHyruleDragonborn.esp
ETaC - Dragon Bridge.esp
ETaC - Dragon Bridge South.esp
Immersive Orc Strongholds.esp
ETaC - Kynesgrove.esp
ETaC - Ivarstead.esp
SoS - The Wilds.esp
OBIS.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Masters of Death.esp
Immersive Whiterun.esp
ETaC - Karthwasten.esp
ETaC - Darkwater Crossing.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Smithing Perks Overhaul_Remade.esp
imp_helm_legend.esp
Weapons & Armor_DragonPriestMasks.esp
Immersive Stonehills.esp
WATER DB Waves.esp
Inconsequential NPCs.esp
Spousetocustomhome.esp
Better Vampires.esp
Cloaks.esp
Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp
Immersive Shors Stone.esp
Point The Way.esp
SMIM-Merged-All.esp
AemersRefuge-DG-DB.esp
Immersive Travelers.esp
WATER Plants.esp
Immersive Patrols.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Smelter_Riften & Solitude.esp
BLESSINGS - Altar Descriptions.esp
CWINPCApachiiSkyHair.esp
VendorSaleDelay-Gone.esp
EFFDialogue.esp
HoldBorderBanners.esp
Immersive Brigands.esp
Bear.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
Immersive Factions.esp
OBISDB.esp
Black Mage Armor.esp
WATER DG.esp
VL No AoE Drain.esp
ADS.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

4 answers to this question

I'll look into creating a Bashed Patch as soon as I get home along with double checking for compatibility patches. Neither LOOT nor MO have complained about the need of any patches, but I'll check again for good measure. ENBoost is set up according to STEP and has been double checked to make sure it was configured correctly. I will double check that I am using the SKSE memory patch, but from my understanding it came with the latest build of SKSE. But I could be mistaken.

LOOT and MO wouldn't really complain about those things. Sometimes LOOT will tell you to ensure you install this or that, but it's not that often it does so.

Use this section for ensuring ENBoost is set up: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

SKSE some with it, but you must set it up in the INI: https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations If you are using DynDOLOD on high, up the numbers to 1024 and 512.

Well, first off I'd say you need to make a Batched Patch and then a custom compatibility patch for your custom set of mods. This is the only way you can be sure that a mod conflict isn't causing the issue. Second thing that comes to mind is to ensure you have all the compatibility patches for your mods (this will make a custom patch easier). Third is to make sure you're running the memory patch from SKSE and ENBoost is set up properly, if you're running an ENB Preset. If you're not and aren't using ENBoost, do so. Fourth thing that comes to mind is to take a look at mods that become script intensive during combat. Overloading the game's engine with scripts can cause freezes and crashes.

I'll look into creating a Bashed Patch as soon as I get home along with double checking for compatibility patches. Neither LOOT nor MO have complained about the need of any patches, but I'll check again for good measure. ENBoost is set up according to STEP and has been double checked to make sure it was configured correctly. I will double check that I am using the SKSE memory patch, but from my understanding it came with the latest build of SKSE. But I could be mistaken.

LOOT and MO wouldn't really complain about those things. Sometimes LOOT will tell you to ensure you install this or that, but it's not that often it does so.

Use this section for ensuring ENBoost is set up: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

SKSE some with it, but you must set it up in the INI: https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations If you are using DynDOLOD on high, up the numbers to 1024 and 512.

After double checking to ensure ENBoost was set up and enabling the memory patch, I ran the gme for over an hour. I went through all sorts of fights during that time and the only noticeable instance of any kind of lag was during the first few minutes. After that, I didn't pick up on anything hanging up while in combat. There was a bit of a hang up during a Black Book loading point, but that happens sometimes. I have yet to confirm it's running better on my other characters (due to a stupid mistake breaking their saves) but I have a feeling those will work fine as well.

I appreciate you taking the time to help solve the issue. Once I get the other saves up and running again I'll continue getting Skyrim switched over to being closer to the STEP core.